Day 14 - made it to Cleveland - The Long Way to Cleveland - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2023

Day 14 - made it to Cleveland

Heart 0 Comment 0

Not a very exciting day of riding today. Cleveland is not an easy city to approach from the east, unless you stay close to the lake, but I was going to Cleveland Heights on the east side, away from the lake. Believe it or not, this was the hilliest day of riding so far on the trip. Maybe not the hilliest, but the day with the most steep hills that required walking the bike.

This is where all the flowers come from.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The only surface worse than sand to ride on.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Colin BakerPotholes everywhere. If there is traffic you can’t dodge them.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
One of the busiest freight routes in the country, connecting Chicago to Boston and New York.
Heart 0 Comment 1
William AustinThat's probably worse to bike on than sand.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
very long trains.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Colin BakerA mile long train used to be unusual. Now they have some two miles long. And with only an engineer in front. So when they derail, which seems to be happening a lot these days, one guy can’t do much.

There was one that derailed in a remote area of Maine a few weeks ago. The engine is still leaking diesel into the adjacent pristine lake. It’s hard to get to, though they do have containment booms. The State is pissed off with railroad. The railroad said they are going to disassemble the engine. My confidence in the railroad companies has plummeted, as they cut staff and maintenance.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinTo Colin BakerA big part of the problem is that the regulating agencies have been cut as well, so there is little oversight of the rail companies. The trains on this line run non-stop day and night, so the companies can afford to pay whatever penalties are assigned to them.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

I stopped in Painesville to get a sandwich at a nice place on the main drag. As l was eating, a man came in and asked about my trip. He said that he had ridden from Seattle to Idaho on Surly a while back, but he had just gotten a recumbent because his back was bothering him. When my check came, before I could protest, he snatched it and paid my whole bill. Incredible !

Brad, the man who paid for my lunch, and the waitress
Heart 4 Comment 0
His recumbent. Interesting geometry.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Colin BakerI don’t think I’ve seen one like that. Usually they are quite low to the ground, which makes them stable, but also hard to see in traffic. Sometimes they have a dayglo pennant on a pole, which helps.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinTo Colin BakerThat was exactly why I thought the geometry was interesting. The seat is almost as high as a conventional diamond frame. He had just gotten it and was planning to give it a try at a local park.
And you're right about most recumbents. They're impossible to see in traffic.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
County courthouse in Painesville
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mark WhiteThey went to pains to build this.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
level house steep hill.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Colin BakerThat’s discouraging…you are in good shape and the hills are still too much. Like that backroad in CT that you dragged me up on our last day before Litchfield.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinTo Colin BakerThis was worse, but I do remember that hill coming out of Kent. It's very difficult to capture the slope of a hill with a camera, but having the house right next to it helped.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Nice little country cottage.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Jonathan DyerWe need to discuss the term “cottage”… 🤔
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Mark White... and little.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Brother Willie and sister-in-law Katie.
Heart 9 Comment 6
Colin BakerHaven’t seen a pic of those two in long time, like pre-gray hair. Is Willie retired? Katie looks great!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
William AustinDid they go see Jose Ramirez's walk off?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinTo Colin BakerWillie is semi-retired. He teaches a pathology course at Case Western Reserve University. And Katie still does consulting work for museums.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinTo William AustinThey were there. A better outcome than the Mets.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Cindy Kallgren14 days to Cleveland-- amazing!! We're happy that you arrived safely!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jonathan DyerDefinitely has the Katzin stamp.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 929 miles (1,495 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lou KatzinYour journal has been such a treat to read every day. Love the commentary and the photos. Glad you made it to the best BnB in Cleveland Heights.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago