Day 10 - A change in the weather (again) - The Long Way to Cleveland - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2023

Day 10 - A change in the weather (again)

The weather forecast was not good. Strong winds and colder temps with an 80% chance of rain by afternoon. I got an early start, after a breakfast of the old standby, instant oatmeal. It was really quite pleasant riding, and I peeled off most of my layers. But around 11:00, the wind shifted to the northwest, and the temperature started to rapidly drop. At 2:00, with the temps in the low 50's, it started to rain. I had contacted a warmshowers host earlier in the day, and when he replied that I could stay, I headed to the Erie Canal bike path in Macedon. Not a lot to report, just a lot of ribbon candy roads.

My hosts for this night are Bob and Jean. They are very experienced bike tourers, and being located right off the Erie Canal, they are also very experienced hosts. After a couple of Sam Adams's and a great pasta dinner, I'm ready for bed.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The concept of camping has evolved since our parents rented a pop-up trailer, loaded up the station wagon and took the family on camping trips in the 1960's. Campgrounds back then were kid friendly alternatives to motels, and were very inexpensive. You would pull in, pay a small fee, pick your spot, and set up for the night, or maybe two or three. Now, it's hard to find a campground that even allows single night stays, let alone tents. A modern campground resembles a trailer park more than a natural setting. It shouldn't suprise me that a lot has changed in 60 years, After all, 60 years before the 1960's, the Model T hadn't even been invented.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Colin BakerKOA, or Kampgrounds of America, will have one token tent site and 60 spaces for trailers and RVs, with full hookups of electric, water, sewer, and even cable. The sites are basically unaffordable for tenters.

Winslow Park here in Freeport reserves many waterfront sites just for tenters, which is quite unusual these days. They also have no hookups, which keeps the RVs limited.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinPhoebe and I might camp at Winslow if we visit you this fall. We really like that park.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jonathan DyerYeah, thats not a campground, thats a trailer park. Necessity has overtaken leisure.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Scott RobuckSo did you sit in the big chair?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
When the glaciers retreated after the last ice age, they left behind fertile ridges all along the land south of lakes Ontario and Erie. These ridges produce some of the best apples in the Eastern US.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Colin BakerEmpire apples always came from NY state, and they have some other unique varieties, all which can handle extreme low temperatures in the winter. The orchards can be huge, way bigger than anything in Maine.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Joy to behold
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I agree. We have to clear out the Communists to make room for the fascists.
Heart 0 Comment 3
William KatzinGreat caption, especially considering that the site was used as a prisoner of war camp to house German soldiers during World War II. I'm sure the irony would be lost on those who put up the sign.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Colin BakerThey are eager to cut government handouts, until you mention Social Security and Medicare, both highly socialist. Many retirees don’t seem to understand how these programs work.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jonathan DyerBillionaires and corporations have done a fine job convincing the people that empathy is evil.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Made it to the Erie Canal Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
For the past few days, the air has been filled with the sickly sweet fragrance of Autumn Olive and honeysuckle, both non-native invasives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I really am in Greece.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Colin BakerOften canal systems failed due to the development of railroads, but the Erie Canal lasted longer than most, probably because they deepened and widened it enough to handle large scale bulk carriers of grain and coal, and it was very cheap transport. The canal paths, designed for horses hauling huge barges, make great bike paths.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 638 miles (1,027 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
John SteyJim, Great pics, and color comentary. Wish I were on the journey. If you go through Geneva on the Lake, look up Lindheart's Lodge. Spent a week there each summer when in was growing up in Farrell PA. Travel safely and keep on rolling down the road. ____John
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinTo John SteyJohn, wish you were with me, too. We could make beautiful music together.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
jim katzinTo John SteyJohn, I actually did stay the night in Geneva, but I stayed at the state park.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago