Western District: Off the Tourist Grid - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

November 17, 2012

Western District: Off the Tourist Grid

After several days of seeing the sights in well travelled areas, we were hungry to explore an area that was off the beaten track of tourism. We took the bus to the Western District near the Golden Horn. We walked along (and atop) the ancient fortified stone wall and wandered the back streets of this culturally rich area. We feel that we have entered a different place in time as we are immediately immersed in the daily lives of the residents who predominately originate from Eastern Turkey and embody a more conservative way of living. Head scarves and burkas are the norm and we see a more modest, impoverished level of living with a strong sense of community.
In this area is the famed Chora Church, built in 527 AD and now a museum. Hopefully we'll find it as we meander through these backstreets.

Much money is being spent in this district to uncover and restore historical areas of interest. Here archaeologists and historians are working on the Anemas Dungeons which date back to 491 AD. A number of deposed Emperors were tortured and imprisoned in this prison. Unfortunately construction has come to a stop at this time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we walked in this neighbourhood, a man jumped up and said "Chora?" and he pointed in a different direction. So, off we went. Hopefully we will find the church, but getting lost here is so interesting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cats will always be a significant part of our memories of Istanbul.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we climbed this hill on narrow streets surrounded by tall buildings, we were surprised to look around and see this view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remains of the Palace of Constantine Porphyrogenitus where archaeological work is ongoing. Unlike sacred buildings (like mosques) which are rarely torn down, many of the palaces have been destroyed or replaced to reflect the tastes of the time. Over time, this palace had been used as a menagerie for exotic animals, a brothel and a poor house for destitute Jews.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A living piece of history - we are excited to discover that stairs remain for us to go up and explore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This shop was built right into the wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The river and the Beyoglu district of Istanbul on the horizon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
To me this looks like a crumbling wall, to Barry it will be a wall to climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Success!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These boys had already charmed me into giving them our mandarins. We walked carefully down the middle, yet these boys ran with carefree abandon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking at this modest home from the wall, I could see that it had survived earthquakes and time, yet it was meticulously cared for. I watched the woman cleaning and sweeping with much care.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Mihrimah Sultan Mosque
Heart 0 Comment 0
This part of the wall had a fence - unlike the section further back that was left natural without any barriers. At home we are so concerned with safety and liability that exploring like this would not be possible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Edirne Gate in the stone wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fellow tourist from Iraq who was also climbing and walking along the stone wall. This man spoke a little English and was determined to take Barry's picture. However he had never used a digital camera before and the photo didn't work.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry climbed for a great view. At this point in a day of much climbing, I gave my knees a rest and stayed at ground level. It was also interesting for me as school had just gotten out for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chora Church - we found it once we realized that in Turkish it is called Kariye Cami Muzesi. Built in 527 AD, it was known as Church of the Holy Saviour Outside the Walls, and after the Conquests it became a mosque. Now it functions as a museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chora Church is famed for its mosaics and frescoes which date from 1312. Interestingly, when it became a mosque in 1511, the mosaics were covered over which helped to preserve them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Peter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Between 1948 and 1959, plaster and whitewash covering the mosaics and frescoes was removed and they were carefully cleaned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As with any building or museum in Istanbul, cats are in residence, and this cat is in search of affection and/or food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
.....and the cat found Barry and the warmth of his audio guide.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cat quickly snuggled in and Barry happily stayed put.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mosaics tell intricate stories of Christ and Mary. Pictures take the place of written stories and these mosaics are considered masterpieces of the Byzantine era.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mosaic represents Jesus and the Land of the Living.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stiff neck is inevitable here as there are over 50 mosaics to view in Chora Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This fresco represents the Resurrection and is beautifully preserved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Virgin and Child painted fresco ceiling
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chora Church is small in comparison to other buildings of note in Istanbul.
Yet, the magnificent mosaics and frescoes, and its extraordinary survival in spite of earthquake, the Conquest and time contribute to make it one of Istanbul's gems.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sidewalks are narrow and crumbing in Istanbul - most people walk on the narrow roads and share the space with traffic. It seems to work. We need to remember to use sidewalks when we go home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical bread shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Suleymaniye Mosque, atop one the "Seven Hills" of Istanbul in the distance. Istanbul was built by the Romans with a mosque or Byzatine structure on each of the seven hills creating a distinctive minaret studded skyline.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wonderful view of this area as the sun is beginning to set.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stylish and shy - making eye contact and smiling led to some warm moments.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many satellite dishes....
Heart 0 Comment 0
We could hear the kids playing at recess - so of course we had to visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These moms were visiting their kids at recess. They spoke no English, but offered us candy (and Barry shared ours as well) and we quickly became friends. The principal came out to meet us and he explained that Barry had been a teacher.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The excitement and joy of kids at recess is universal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chimneys, wherever they can be put, but it doesn't help with air quality.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creative use of space - a laundry line across the street shared by apartments.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are in the shopping district of music shops - this small store was filled with beautiful pianos.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along an alley near the Grand Bazaar, we stumbled across this gun/knife shop. The owner tried to help us with our Turkish language skills.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kofte meatballs - so good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A salad bar - Barry was so happy... however, see the round tomato like veggies? ...they are fiercely hot peppers. After eating one, Barry turned a vivid colour. Should be interesting to see how he does.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0