We Have Started the Danube River Route - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2012

We Have Started the Danube River Route

The campground was quite large and seemed to be occupied mostly by full time residents with a small field at the entrance designated for tenters and cyclists. We needed our ear plugs as the train tracks were a few feet away. People weren’t very friendly - we wonder if they have seen their fill of cyclists by this point in the season.

The Eurovelo 6 signage is very good and the trail has been excellent. We are enjoying the rural scenery - lush green flatlands bordered by alpine hills. It has been a bit of a culture shock for us as we had spent so long in France. We had become so used to their customs and were becoming quite good at understanding French. It is stretching our linguistic abilities as we find that in this region of Germany there are very few people who speak English. Our little dictionary is being well used. It is a bit embarrassing when we respond in French instead of English or German.
Prices for most things seem to be lower here than in France.

We followed the Danube River off and on all day. It has not attained its mighty grandeur yet. Instead it is more a meandering narrow river. At one point it appeared to dry up completely. We later found out that this is called the “Danube Sink”.When the river is low, the riverbed dries up completely as the river drains into the limestone beneath the soil. For about 12 kilometers the Danube flows underground through caves and channels. The water can spend weeks or months underground before resurfacing.

We rode through Tuttlingen, a beautiful city . As the Danube flows through the city, along its banks there is a wonderful park filled with sculptures, some of which are furniture for people to lounge on while enjoying the park. We decided to keep riding and we are glad we did as the route became more and more dramatic.

Between Muhlheim and Fridingen we rode through a protected nature area that hugged the side of the valley. Later the trail opened up into a gorgeous valley with limestone cliffs on each side. There is no camping available in this area. When we got to Fridengen we decided it was time to look for a place to stay. We are staying in our first “gasthaus”- a German guesthouse. 64 euros for a lovely new renovated room in a very old building. There is a restaurant in the guesthouse as well. Breakfast is included. For dinner we walked to a discount supermarket and bought food to have in our room.
We are looking forward to tomorrow’s ride, as we have heard that the route goes through some of the most beautiful landscape along the German Danube.

A tight fit but we made it. The man in the blue cycling clothes on the right is the Norwegain who jumped to help us get our bike off the train - thanks!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our trusty steed made it off the train and up the stairs - waiting for the connecting train to Donaueschingen. Love the trains in Germany!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI agree, the trains in Germany are WONDERFUL!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Our bike (and Barry) was much happier on the second train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trains, a relaxing way to travel. We knew that we had 4 min. at Donaueschingen to get our bike and trailer and panniers off the train - we're ready.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pharmacist at Donaueschingen who made up my prescription that I so desperately needed, Frau Horsapfel. I will always think fondly of her.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have made the trek to the source of the Donau (Danube) - now we can set off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Donauquelle - the well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Black Sea - how far it is to go!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our first campground in Germany and the first of our Bikeline maps for the Danube route. We are so glad we brought them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fascinating watching how they tar the road before paving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stork nest on top of the church tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Meeting a cyclist on the beginning of the day - typical scenery for this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great signage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Germans love vending machines - anything seems to be available - even Schwalbe inner tubes at 7 euros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stopped for lunch in this town - the buildings and churches are quite different from France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sharing the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Too contented to be bothered by us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This gargoyle was over the cat - which one is really guarding the house?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cleaning by hand the stone carvings on the Rathaus (City Hall)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Tuttlingen at the Tourist Office, we met this couple from Victoria BC - our first fellow Canadians that we have met since Bayeux. Victoria is Barry's home town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tuttlingen
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A "tandem" mini car - one seat in front of the other.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The limestone cliffs along the Danube are beginning just before Fridingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town is preparing for their fall fair. This was in front of the local butcher.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,026 km (1,258 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0