Vienna: Mozart - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2012

Vienna: Mozart

Moved in to our trailer (mobile home) - it is a nice treat after months away to have a full kitchen, bedroom, bath, etc. We''re off to explore Vienna and get acquainted with the trains and transit system for Vienna.

It was raining and we took refuge in the locally beloved St. Stephens Cathedral - everything seemed to have a price attached to it and the crowds were immense so we went for a walk and discovered the Mozart Haus Museum. What a special place. The museum is housed in the apartment Mozart lived in and it is where he composed The Marriage of Figaro. Great care has been taken to help you understand the times and the life Mozart lived. After visiting the museum, we felt that we had a better understanding of this creative genius and his music.

On the bus tour of Vienna, we learned that 20% of all apts. in Vienna are gov't owned and rent controlled. This is opposite our train station and by the name, we imagine this is probably a gov. building from a long time ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting architectural details - St. Stephens Cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Stephens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Business is really slow for horse drawn carriage tours on a rainy day. We felt bad for them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When the weather is better, the streets of Vienna are full of the sounds of horses on the cobblestones taking tourists around the inner town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful roof on St Stephens - reminds of the roofs in Dijon, France.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the Mozart museum - a special place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from Mozart's apt - significant for two reasons: the view hasn't changed over the centuries plus he was able to see at the end of the street the modest bed sitting room he rented before he found success. This apartment was considered very luxurious and well furnished by the standards of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The outside view of Mozart's apt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A local institution - known for its over sized schnitzel and for not serving any beer. They only serve their own wine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The architecture in Vienna is superb.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This building is part of the university in the centre of town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coffee and cake at Aida's coffee house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mozart Cake - of course! (Pistachio marzipan filling)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0