Vauville to Caen - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2012

Vauville to Caen

Looking forward to today as our destination is the city of Caen. My dad was a soldier with the SD&G Highlanders (Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry) during WWII and his regiment landed on D Day at Juno Beach. The Canadians were the first group to reach Caen in helping to liberate the city. As with most WWII vets, my dad talked little of his experiences, but I was familiar with the significance of Caen and Juno Beach to him.
The weather has stayed sunny and hot - we’re following the busy 513 and then will change routes and head to the sea via Cabourg on a wonderful downhill and quiet road D475). This leads to a dedicated cycle path that follows the Orne Canal, crossing the Pegasus Bridge (first site liberated by British gliders following D Day) and then continuing along this delightful path into the centre of Caen. After some busy roads, we appreciate the opportunity to take advantage of about 25 km of traffic free paths.
Riding in Normandy, history is present in every building you see - but in this part of Normandy the past is present in memorials to and remaining evidence of the invasion. The French certainly honour and remember the sacrifices of the allies during the war.
Caen does not disappoint. We notice more modern buildings as a result of the bombings during the war, but miraculously the Castle, Abbayes and Cathedrals remain.
We are treating ourselves to a hotel for 2 nights-Hotel Astrid, 56 Euros and right in the centre of town. It’s small, clean and friendly. Wandered the city for the evening. At night, French towns come alive as all of the cafes and bars take up half the street with outdoor cafes and unofficially the streets become filled with families and couples strolling, replacing the cars during the day.
Our biggest adjustment is being in a country where it seems everybody smokes constantly and wherever they happen to be. The only restriction on smoking is inside buildings, but entryways are filled with smokers. We are used to living in a province where smoking is not allowed in any public gathering places. However, one doesn’t expect to find life to be like home,when travelling, so it’s interesting how our tolerance and expectations can be different here.

The cycle path from Cabourg to Caen via the Pegasus Bridge along the Orne Canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pegasus Bridge - the first site liberated by the British airforce using gliders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Caen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the tourist office in Caen, we met Mary from Houston, Texas - an intrepid solo bicycle traveller who is also camping along the way. We shared experiences and recommendations. She saw our recumbent tandem outside the Tourist Office and her curiosity brought her inside to find us and show us her bike as well (a Bike Friday recumbent Sat'rday)
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNeat you met the solo lady traveler riding a Bike Friday Sat'rday recumbent bike! :) Good for her!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Most towns have an ornate and much used carousel in the town centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A satisfied customer - our first frites in France - yum!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cathedral in the centre of town. It remarkably survived the bombings - note the twisted chimney in the foreground.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 296 km (184 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0