Unlingen to Ersingen: From the best in German hospitality to the worst......... - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2012

Unlingen to Ersingen: From the best in German hospitality to the worst.........

We had another good breadfast at Sonne Gasthaus. Shortly after leaving the guesthouse I discovered that the round silver plate on one side of my Speedplay Frog pedals was loose and needed tightening. The only way to tighten the plate was to take the pedal apart and tighten the screw from inside. Unfortunately it needed a very small alan key that I didn’t have. I got out the trusty red duct tape that we bought in France and taped the pedal together. We would need to get to a bike shop and have it repaired.
Relying on info from our Bikeline Map, we rode into the next couple of towns looking for a bike shop. We couldn’t locate them. As well, to our surprise most shops were closed because it was lunchtime. We thought that this was only in France. However, we have discovered that shops in Germany also close for a couple of hours for lunch. As well, shops close early on Saturdays and all day Sunday.
In the third town, Rottenacker, we tried and it did in fact have a bike shop. After riding up and down looking for the bike shop, a local person pulled over and offered to help. With her help we were able to locate the shop. Unfortunately, the shop was closed for holidays.
We rode on to the larger city of Ehingen and found a bike shop. For 3 euros they fixed the pedal. Our next bike repair challenge is to locate a bike shop that specializes in Rolhoff hubs. Our hub needs an oil change every 5000 km. However, because the hub is new, we need to replace the oil after the first 1000 km. We have ridden over 2000 km. and we need to buy a Rolhoff oil kit. The Rolhoff is German made so we thought that it wouldn’t be a problem finding a shop that can help us out. In France, we couldn't find a shop who was a Rohloff dealer. As we are approaching larger cities, we have high hopes that we can take care of this.
Well we thought that the camping in Sigmaringen was bad, but Ersingen provided a new low. It sounded good as it was situated on a lake - the signage on the Eurvelo was really good but our first clue that this was not a good place was the rude and unpleasant personality of the man who ran it. He was unhelpful and rude - thankfully a woman was there who interpreted for us and smoothed the way. The cost was 14 euros for a piece of grass and a bathroom that was broken, dirty and basically unusable. The trailer toilet block had not been cleaned or maintained. We jumped in the lake to cool off, were in bed by 8:30 and were determined to be on the road as early as possible.

Dinner at our guesthouse. Real German food! Pork with melted cheese and gravy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had a special schnitzel. The guesthouse is known for its spaetzle recipe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dig in Barry!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the owner's cousin from Stuttgart. He grew up here in the village. His wife spoke excellent English and visited with us through the evening. We learned much about life in Germany from our visit with her.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Agathe, the hospitable and always cheerful host at Gasthaus Sonne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The countryside around Unlingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another stork nest atop the church tower. Don't the bells bother them?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A drinking fountain
Heart 0 Comment 0
The river funnelled through this village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blank Beer - a small brewery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The restaurant is part of the brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The steepest of the hills we have encountered. We had to resort to pushing the bike up the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Double steepled cathedral in Mundkingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mundkingen - looking for a bike shop and everything is closed for lunch. The town is known for the well preserved half timbered buildings, and the many fountains. Decorative stork statues are throughout this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus stork.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rathaus - beautifully painted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Decorative painting on the Rathaus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch in Mundkingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first terrine of goulash topped with cream - yummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we leave Mundkingen, we are high above the Danube valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 2,178 km (1,353 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0