Topkapi Palace - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

November 8, 2012

Topkapi Palace

At the gate to Topkapi Palace, this dog was fast asleep, oblivious to the tourists around him. People were speculating whether or not the dog was alive. He remained completely still, obviously used to the crowds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cat curled up next to a tree in the grounds of Topkapi Palace
Heart 1 Comment 0
Library of Ahmet III- we could feel the historic atmosphere and imagine the book shelves filled with books.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Iznik tiles
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sofa Mosque - we bought scarves the day before so that Mary Ellen could cover her head for visits to Mosques and other holy places.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sofa Pavilion was used to watch sporting events and entertainment. There are two sections with a large area between them. A beautiful room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This marble terrace surrounds a beautiful pool with a lovely view over the old city and the Golden Horn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Standing on the one of the most popular photo spots on the Palace grounds. A couple from Atlanta took our picture while we took theirs as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful fireplace in the Revan Kiosk. Fire extinguisher?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inlaid wood and mother of pearl window coverings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Topkapi Palace occupies a prime position with a panoramic outlook along the Marmara Sea and around the coast to the River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Exquisite, distinctive Iznik tiles from the 16th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Circumcision Room - a place of ceremonial importance in the Palace - and renowned for its tile work.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clasps and handles on window coverings in the Sultan's bed chamber.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fountain in the Sultan's bedchamber.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0