St.Valery-en-Caux to Sassetot-le-Mauconduit - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2012

St.Valery-en-Caux to Sassetot-le-Mauconduit

We are discovering that most campgrounds have baguettes to sell every morning. The local baker delivers bread to the camp office. We started the morning with a visit to the municipal campground's little store to buy a baguette and fresh milk for our porridge.
On our ride today we chanced upon a lovely shop in a village . We were really hungry and needed to have lunch. The shop was special because the owner baked his own baguettes, bread and pastries.Also he made his own pate and deli items. A French couple had come in knowing that the pork pate was fresh. The couple raved about the owner's pate. We were encouraged to buy some. What a treat.Our dinner tonight: baguette, pork pate, Normandie camembret and locally made red wine. Wine prices are incredibly cheap. We paid 3 Euros ($4.00 CAN) the wine that we had for our dinner tonight.
Head winds and mega hills have stayed with us.
We decided to stop early at a lovely town, Sassetot-le-Mauconduit and stay in the local campground. Like all French campgrounds, it offered excellent facilities and was very well maintained. 10.61 euros - free showers and wifi - we got to choose any open site. It was mostly long term summer residents who took great pride in their homes. All sites are surrounded by a well-maintained hedges and we were befriended by the neighbours, who offered their hospitality and assistance. A nice insight to their lifestyle. We were the only tenters that day.

The proprietor at Le Panier Sympa,St. Martin aux Bruneaux. Shop owners in small shops in villages reflect a wonderful sense of pride in their craft and the quality they provide. This shop owner did it all for his village - patisserie, butcher, baker, general store, post office. etc. He gave us pens to remember him by....and was also most proud that Stage 4 of this year's Tour de France went by his front door. In fact, our route today followed parts of stage 4.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our dinner courtesy of the shopkeeper we visited today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stumbled onto this abandoned chateau
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pastries we enjoyed from the shop, Panier Sympa. Everything that we bought was delicious!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tour de France raced right by this shop a couple of weeks earlier
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are not sure what crop this is.
Heart 1 Comment 1
gj de RollerDear Barlett's,
I am just reading your journal. The crop is flax.
Gert
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Wheat...wheat...and more wheat
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our ride today was mainly through fields like this one. Note the windwmills in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 142 km (88 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0