St.Mathurin-sur-Loire to Savigny-en-Veron - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2012

St.Mathurin-sur-Loire to Savigny-en-Veron

We said farewell to our friends, Gertjan and Romkje, who are heading home this weekend.
In theory, we should have been on our way as well - but as so often happens, we are intercepted by strangers who want to talk to us about our journey and our strange looking bike. We met a family from Belgium and had a good visit.
The tourist information in St. Mathurin is excellent, and we were advised to avoid the trail after Gennes as it is difficult, confusing, hilly with many twists and turns along the south side. We followed a secondary road along the north coast for most of the day and enjoyed a trip that followed a straight line. We liked being able to make good time and see the Loire from a different perspective without many cyclists. The unofficial trail was very good but the gates were too difficult for our loaded bike, so we took the D952 instead - a good choice.
Instead of going to Saumur, we continued along this route and crossed over at Montsoreau. We found the town to be too busy with tourists and expensive, so we continued on to Savigny-en-Veron to a campgournd called, La Fritallaire. It is a 3 star campground with exceptional facilities, meticulously cared for and only 10 euros. It is in the middle of wine country and in a very peaceful setting. We have decided to stay for 2 nights and have a quiet day tomorrow of laundry, reading and working on our journal.

The cathedral in St. Mathurin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen and Gertjan - "herculisas" - enjoy and wear your socks through many adventures, Gertjan.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gertjan and Romkje on their way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will miss them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting boats along the Loire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Homes are beautifully landscaped. Front yards are not seen here - most homes are on the road and the courtyard is hidden from view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle in Saumur from across the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Candes St. Martin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,144 km (710 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0