Sigmaringen to Unlingen: New shoes and a detour - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2012

Sigmaringen to Unlingen: New shoes and a detour

Had an interesting night as the drunks from the group area loudly walked by our tent to the bathroom, plus, the two cyclists who had arrived late, decided to visit the bar and when they returned, loudly organized their camp. We were happy to move on - we also discovered in the morning that the bad smell in our section emanated from the sewage mancover in our lawn.
On our way out of town, we dropped by the local bike shop, Rad Laden Sattelfest, with the hopes of getting the oil changed in our Rohlofff hub - but they were out of the oil. Instead, Mary Ellen was able to get new cycling shoes. The Keen sandals have proven not to be adequate. She was able to get a German mountain bike shoe, IXS. We had fun meeting the mechanic's pets, Milo the dog and Helberg(?) the cat.
The trail was good today, but somewhat anticlimatic after the dramatic scenery of the past few days. We meandered along with the hope of camping at Reitlingen. The camping was somewhat bizarre as it was abandoned, no managers and no bathrooms. When we went to inquire at the adjacent farm, a ferocious dog sent us on our way. We gave up and returned to Reitlingen and tried to get a room at a pension or gasthaus - but all were full. The town looked really interesting as it had escaped damage during the wars over the centuries. As a result, much of the medieval flavour is intact.
Luckily a manager of a gasthaus called ahead to a village a few km. ahead and off the trail and secured a room for us at Landgasthof Sonne in Ulingen.
As we rode through the farm fields, we enjoyed seeing a town that is away from the tourist route. We were warmly greeted by the proprietor, and were encouraged by the delicious aromas to have supper in their dining room. We started with local beer and shared a local specialty Kasespatzle and Maultaschem. Breakfast in the dining room at 8 - looking forward to that.

This picture makes it look good. This space was full of tents and we were right by the steps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Helberg, the bike store cat - he dominates Milo, the dog, as is only right!
Heart 1 Comment 0
They were really helpful at the bike store. This huge bike looked really comfortable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice shoes!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milo guarding the shop.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAww, Milo is a cute dog at the bike shop!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is typical in this part of Germany to see paintings on the exterior of the buildings. As is the case here, it shows the type of business inside, but it can also feature historical images.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storks are a common sight in this area - note the decorative statue of the stork. Also, the age of the building is shown in the sagging beams.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little dog was enjoying his bike ride. We see many dogs out for day rides in the front basket.
Heart 1 Comment 0
See the stork nest on top of the tower? They must not mind the sound of the clock chiming every 15 minutes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,118 km (1,315 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0