Riding south on the Canal du Bourgogne from Dijon to rejoin the Eurovelo 6 trail - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2012

Riding south on the Canal du Bourgogne from Dijon to rejoin the Eurovelo 6 trail

Humidity is high and we sense a change in the weather.
It turns out that the canal was very close to where we were staying in the old part of Dijon. However, as we were standing at a corner confused about which canal to choose, a local woman rushed over to help us. She was most concerned that we were enjoying our travels in Burgundy and sent us on our way, in the right direction.
The first few kilometres were through a very industrial area following the train tracks with lots of graffiti along the route. Soon, the route opened up into farmland and the canal followed a very straight path to St. Jean de Losne. We were impressed by the newly paved condition of the trail. In a few spots, the trail was gravel, but very ridable. We passed many people making their way along the canal in their boats and fishermen along the shore.
As we approached St. Jean de Losne, the weather was deteriorating and felt very stormy - so we opted to not proceed to Dole as planned. At the end of the road past the village along the river is a lovely campground, Camping Les Herlequins.
St. Jean is a very busy marine port as the Canal du Bourgogne and the River Saone come together here. Many pleasure boaters and working boats ply these waters.
As we were making dinner, we were startled by thunder and lightning, quickly followed by a torrential downpour. We took refuge in the bathroom block and enjoyed our wine and dinner watching the storm. It was a tumultuous night in the tent as the thunder and lightning continued through the night.

Le Hotel des Sauvages - looking across the grape vines at the entrance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The courtyard in front of our hotel in Dijon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical street in Dijon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry greeting the swans at the Bourgogne Canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We haven't seen much industry along the trail until Dijon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lock keepers homes have these signs above the door showing the lock number and gives you your bearings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful locks along the canal - note how straight it is!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see so many canal boats like this every day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our trail faithfully follows the flat and straight terrain of the canal. Here the path is gravel, but good for riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We encountered this convoy of riders doing a circuit around the canal. They were from a canal boat/cycling holiday group - Hat Holidays.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the tour boat the cyclists dine and sleep on.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThose bike & barge tours are nice. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 1,657 km (1,029 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0