Riding out of Vienna to Orth: Rain, wind and more wind. - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2012

Riding out of Vienna to Orth: Rain, wind and more wind.

Well, as predicted the weather has deteriorated. Yesterday was like a hot summer day - sunny and high 20‘s. We awoke to rain and it sounds like it will get worse as the day progresses.
The bike path from Klosterneuburg to Vienna is 14 km and is a quiet, well marked trail. We followed the train tracks and the Danube. We enjoyed seeing up close the landmarks that we have seen for the past week from the train.
As we were riding, we marvelled that we were passing alongside Vienna with no traffic or congestion. As we didn’t need to go into the city centre, we stayed alongside the river and passed the launch area for many river cruise ships. We knew that we needed to cross over to the other side of the Danube and had already passed many bridges. The signage had disappeared and we were confused by which one to take. As luck will have it, we passed over at an opportune spot and picked up the trail exactly where we needed to be.
The rains came and didn’t stop all day. Our riding was mostly along the dyke with no cover and as we approached a village the winds were so strong that we decided to pull over. The only cover we could find was a bus stop so we took refuge and tried to wait it out. By this point everything was wet, including our trailer and panniers. The wind and rain had been so extreme that our rain covers didn’t have a chance so we opted to ride on to the next town and try to find a place to stay.
In Orth,we felt lucky to knock on the door of Pension Schlossblick. The house and gardens looked so lovely that we were a bit apprehensive about the cost - but it was 27 euros each including breakfast. Our room was spacious with a seating area with leather couch and chair, TV and fast internet. Her breakfast room was homey and nicely decorated with custom painted decorative touches by a local artist. We admired her artwork throughout - all featured local artists. When we arrived, we were cold, wet and she welcomed us with a pot of tea.
It was great to have a good internet connection as Barry was able to connect with his family on FaceTime.
Breakfast was great - freshly cooked egg was a treat - first since England.
We enjoyed visiting with the hostess, Sabine.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Swans along the Danube
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It rained heavily all the way out of Vienna
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another great bridge crossing for bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode through a huge Shell oil refinery
Heart 0 Comment 0
We sought refuge inside a bus shelter beside a cemetary. The wind was howling and the rain came down in torrents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yogurt and bakery buns in the bus shelter, escaping the rain
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBoy, Mary Ellen looks cold while eating in the bus stop! Thankfully you all found the bus stop and it helped a little.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
In the wonderful breakfast room at the zimmer in Orth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Europe, a freshly prepared egg for breakfast is a rarity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed the local art at Pension Schlosslick in Orth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike friendly Pensions and Zimmers are great for us - they understand what we and our bike needs, especially on a rainy day when we arrive muddy and wet!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat is so helpful when bike-friendly pensions and zimmers are able to be so helpful to stay at! :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The backyard of the Pension.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hostess, Sabine, at the Pension.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,089 km (1,918 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0