Riding in Heavy Rain from Stapefield to Lewes - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2012

Riding in Heavy Rain from Stapefield to Lewes

Awoke in our private garden behind the pub, to the sound of the wind and the rain. Oh dear, England’s weather in July is more like November. Must break camp and cycle on to find some breakfast and a bathroom!

We have riding in heavy rain all day long. We stopped at a farm/tea shop. The food was delicious and it gave us an opportunity to dry out.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Road continues to be narrow, cars go frighteningly fast, but we are becoming acclimatized. Having to be so vigilant does take some energy,
Lots of hills - as Derrick said yesterday...Sussex, contrary to its press, is not flat...it’s very lumpy. Indeed.

Today was a very wet ride!
Heart 0 Comment 0

A welcome sight after a hill was a very quiet golf course club house serving breakfast. Yeah! coffee, bathrooms and a roof over our heads - it’s all we need. The Club House was happy to see us as the weather has kept golfers away.

We rolled through spectacular pastoral scenery - rolling hills, patchworks of colour and picturesque historic towns Particularly memorable were Cuckfield and Lewes.

Harveys Brewery in Lewes
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we didn’t get lost as locals proved most helpful “Don’t go to Brighton..traffic’s terrible.... Avoid A23 -too busy...cut across country on the “B” roads atop the South Downs and enjoy the view.” And it was good advice. The roads were quieter and the view was memorable.
The only downside was the heavy rain and intense wind - tailwinds (nice) & headwinds (not so nice) & swirling gusts (bad!).

Arrived in the incredibly quaint, historic Lewes with roots in Norman times. All accomodation was booked - too wet to camp. A local woman cyclist took us under her wing and got us to the Tourist Info in time for them to secure us the last room, a 4 star property discounted in half due to a “no show” - beautiful 16th c property Pelham House (including a 3 course breakfast).
What a great day!

Fish and Chips in Lewes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lewes was crisscrossed with a myriad of narrow alleyways. The woman who helped us get to the tourist office at exactly one minute before closing time, took us on a wild ride through a number of very narrow alleyways much like the one Mary Ellen is standing in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Terrorist teapots!!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 57 km (35 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0