Redon to Guenrouet: A New Canal Route - Brest to Nantes Canal - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2012

Redon to Guenrouet: A New Canal Route - Brest to Nantes Canal

The young woman at the campground had strongly recommended that we try the local Brittany specialty - crepes - and that we go to Creperie L’Akene in the old town of Redon. What a treat - delicious. We discovered as well that Redon is a charming town built on the confluence of two canal systems - an interesting port city.
We were on our way out of town and passed a sporting goods superstore and supermarket. Travelling mostly in villages, we have not seen any commerce like this, so off we went. We now understand why French campers have the same kinds of tents and gear - Quechna is the tent used by almost all campers and their claim to fame is that they erect in 2 to 5 seconds. Fascinating store.
The temperature soared today and we only managed 30 km - arrived at the Camping Saint Clair completely overheated - a well run campground on the canal, very clean and well situated - only 13 euros. We had met a French man cycling on the trail and he camped next to us.
Normally, this would be a very quiet camp, but the Circus was in town and set up a few metres from our campground.

"A Room With a View"- from our tent on the canal outside of Redon. An excellent municipal campsite
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wind in the trees sounded like it was raining.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Buckwheat crepes for lunch done the traditional Brittany way filled with cheese.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My crepe was filled with fresh artichoke hearts
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Creperie in Redon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 847 km (526 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0