Reaching Mont St. Michel - a Unesco World Heritage Site: Ducey to Pontorson - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2012

Reaching Mont St. Michel - a Unesco World Heritage Site: Ducey to Pontorson

Barry is doing a bit better today - a restful evening, a bag of ice from the hotel bar and some pills seem to have helped his elbow. He is a sight - one elbow is bloated and red from a sting by an unknown insect and the other one was crunched by a bad landing at a curb. We will ride on - it should be ok as the ride looks like it shouldn't be too challenging.

Enjoyed a lovely breakfast in the dining room with limitless cups of fresh espresso (a first for us in France). The trail is as we hoped - level or downhill with a surface that is easy to ride. The only surprise was that according to the map, the distance to Mont St. Michel should be about 18 km - but that is in road miles. The trail distance is typically double.

Breakfast room at the lovely Auberge de la Selune. Our best so far: museli and yogurt, fresh croissants and baguettes, fruit, camembert, espresso, juice, etc.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we approached La Baie de Mont St. Michel, across the farm fields, we could see the Island and Abbaye in the distance. What an impressive image - for about 10 miles, it was a constant sight and as we got closer, it became even more impressive.

We decided to stay further along in the town of Pontorson, which should give us a good start when we leave to head south. We are about 10 km out of Mont St. Michel. The bus service is great and we will take the bus when we visit Mont St. Michel. Accommodation is hard to find as we are in the middle of the French holiday for families. We were able to get a room in a home, a "chambre d'hote" (a bed and breakfast). Tomorrow morning we will head to Mont St. Michel as we have been advised that due to the busy season, it is best to go first thing. Should be an exciting day.

Immaculate gardens at the hotel and terrace by the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The playful kitten found us this morning too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garden behind the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bedroom walls were covered in fabric - traditional french toile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A charming room with a nice view of the river and back gardens.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving another memorable town, but ready to keep on exploring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This 17th century Montgomery Castle is being restored - next to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montgomery Castle in Ducey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bike is looking at home in France, next to the gate house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our first distant glimpse of Mont St. Michel.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, the sight of Mont St. Michel looks HUGE!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 639 km (397 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0