Our First Day in Vienna - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2012

Our First Day in Vienna

After a good day of riding from Krems, over 80 km, we were happy to get to the Campground at Klosterneuberg which was adjacent to the trail. We have decided to use this as our base and buy a transit pass to day trip into Vienna by train, tram, underground, etc. The campground is very nice, quiet and only 2 min. walk from the train station.
As usual we are the only tenters. We tented 2 nights and have been able to secure one of their rental mobile homes for a reduced cost for drop-in cyclists. We are quite impressed as we have a 3 bedroom little house, complete with a full bathroom, fully equipped kitchen, lovely deck, etc and so close to Vienna.
We have decided to get to know Vienna first by taking a city tour with a visit to Schonbrunn Palace. The bus will pick us up at our campground. Vienna is such a vast and busy city that we are glad to start in this way. As we were first to be picked up, we got to see many of the hotels where our fellow tourists were staying - wow.
The highlight was our 1 1/2 tour of the Palace. Of the 1441 rooms in the Palace, 40 are open to the public. The gardens are exceptional and vast - opened by Joseph II in 1779. Our tour guide was exceptional and passionately shared her humour, insights and information. We also learned much about how Austrians live and hadn't realized that it enjoys a socialist lifestyle - free education for all through university, gov. subsidies for each child while they are attending school, 80% pension for all, free healthcare, rent protected apt, - but heavily taxed.
At the end of the tour, we were dropped off at the Opera House and wandered through the streets. The crowds in the centre of Vienna are overwhelming. For us it is like Robson St in Vancouver on speed. We were met by a wall of people. We will try to find the sights that interest us away from this congestion - we have noticed that there are so many McDonald's based here and that this has become an expensive shopping and fashion area.
We found our way home via Underground and train - Vienna has a well organized transportation network which is well used. It will be good to have a pass as we can travel anywhere on any form of transport, unlimited.

The Habsburgs loved yellow (and gold) - and it also signifies that this is their summer residence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The extensive and impressive gardens at Schonbrunn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gardens at Schonbrunn are free to the public. They are amazing and designed in the classic french style and dominated by the gloriet, a neo classical colonade perched on the crest of the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Schonbrunn Palace - front receiving area
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous Hotel Sacher - home of Vienna's Sacher Torte.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Viennese coffee bars are plentiful along the street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wandering the pedestrian area within the ring road
Heart 0 Comment 0
A church among the houses in the inner city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Masses of people stroll and shop in this area
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful old shop - this area is increasingly taken over however by huge and expensive fashion stores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We escaped the expensive and tourist filled cafes for a local gasthof with traditional food and local beer. Affordable and so good, plus the locals gave it a lot of character.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry had the traditional Viennese boiled beef with potatoes and vegetables (pureed into a sauce). The picture does not do it justice as Barry said it was one of the best beef dishes he has had -delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had house made sausages, potatoes and sauerkraut. This was the sauerkraut I have been waiting for!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this as we were heading back to the campground while walking to the underground subway. Most bathrooms here cost about .50 euro, so music included seems like a good idea and value..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0