Orth to Bratislava - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2012

Orth to Bratislava

The ride through the National Park Donauen, from Orth to Hainburg was on a trail that was meticulously maintained and well signed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mileage and directional signs in the Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the 2 km bridge near Stopfenreuth. This area is known for its successful protest and resistance to the damming of the Danube. Thanks to their actions, they have protected the Danube wetlands in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Danube is a working river - and what a beautiful day to ride - in stark contrast to yesterday's rain and wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 2 km long bridge crosses over the wetlands and the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic Vienna gate in Hainburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got a bit lost and realized as we couldn't get the bike and Barry through the tunnel, that this was not the trail. Turning around here was a challenge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful caverns and tunnels around Hainburg - interesting hiking here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
...after much effort, Barry was successful - we're on our way to Slovakia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Danube is particularly picturesque in this area of cliffs and rocky caverns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see such interesting little vehicles in Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat looks like a cartoon car!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Lovely farmland and rolling hills in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bratislava in the distance. We can see for miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sharing the trail....
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Slovakian/Austrian border - pretty much abandoned and not much of an event. The EU has dissolved these formal borders, but we certainly feel the difference when we enter a new country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bratislava is getting closer - we can now make out landmarks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle across the Danube in Bratislava.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This tower is in the middle of the bridge crossing over to Bratislava. You can go up for a super view or a meal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The restaurant atop the bridge is called The UFO.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltCool re the tower in the middle of the bridge that has a restaurant and views!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Crossing the Danube has become such a pleasant part of our journey - especially when we are about to explore a new country and culture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These bridges offer the cyclist a stress free passage - our own lane on a different level than vehicles, plus easy to access ramps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A unique tourist bus - very old bus in Bratislava. At first glimpse, we are entranced by Bratislava's quiet charm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slovakian chips!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 3,129 km (1,943 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0