On Our Way Home! - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

November 20, 2012

On Our Way Home!

Mary Ellen waiting for our airport shuttle at 2:30 in the morning. As soon as she sat down the white cat leapt up on her lap to wish her bon voyage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are waiting patiently for our shuttle. It arrived late but we had plenty of time to get to the airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Security at the Istanbul airport was very intense and thorough. We had to go through security as we entered the front door of the airport. They wanted our bike boxes to go through the scanner. Both boxes barely fit through the scanner. By the time we got to the gate, we had gone through security several times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Either Barry is tired or reluctant to leave. I guess that having to pry his hands off of the bar is a sign that he would like to stay!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have 2 flights and 22 hours of travel ahead of us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of Amsterdam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly bronze sculptures to sit on at the Amsterdam airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amsterdam Airport- amazing that they have a free Art Gallery with paintings from the Rijks Museum for travellers to enjoy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Airport thoughtfully has provided a library and seating areas that are comfortably set up to replicate a living room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our plane for flight #2 - on to Vancouver!
Heart 0 Comment 0
by this point, we are too tired to read and we (especially 6'3" Barry) are very cramped for space in Economy. We will watch 3 movies in the next 10 hours. Thank goodness for a personal movie screen at your seat,
Just like our flight at the beginning of the trip to England, a medical emergency required a doctor to help, Thankfully, this trip, we didn't have to detour to Iceland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The North Sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch in Economy Class - pretty good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vancouver Airport - cloudy and cold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it home - Vancouver Airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and what an amazing surprise. My sisters had brought my mom to the airport from Victoria to meet us. Suffice it to say that it was an emotional reunion.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After 4000+ km of travelling in Europe without a mishap, I fell helping Barry carry one of our bike boxes into the ferry terminal in Tswaaassen. I hurt my wrist, but my pride even more.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back on familiar territory - BC Ferries!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
...and a BC Ferries breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving at Long Harbour ferry terminal on Saltspring Island - it feels like we have been away for longer than 5 months.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our poor bike - it has travelled and been man handled on 3 flights and a ferry to get home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other half of our bike being unloaded by a helpful ferry worker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's hard to believe that we are home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0