London Olympics Torch Relay In Lewes and on to Newhaven - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2012

London Olympics Torch Relay In Lewes and on to Newhaven

Wonderful sleep at Pelham House - deluxe breakfast - fruit compote with yogurt, croissants, cheese and juice - then our hot entree. Barry had the Full English complete with blood pudding and I had French Toast with maple syrup - yummy. Like the rest of the hotel, the breakfast room was lovely and historic. The panelling and carvings of original residents dated from the 1577. Hard to imagine that this was a family home.

At the hotel, Barry took advantage of comfortable surroundings with wifi and got our journal up to date, while I toured the town and got caught up in the local excitement of the Olympic Torch coming through later that day. Crowds were assembling, hotels were handing out refreshments and hawkers were selling flags, medals, etc. Most fun though was a local group “Skull Drummery” dressed in “punk” historic costumes who were rehearsing by the Castle (Norman vintage). They performed up and down the main road to entertain the assembling masses. School was dismissed early and the kids were having a blast. The Bobbies were a friendly presence, one sharing his helmet with a child for a photo. A multi aged, happy crowd. As is often the case, anticipation exceeds reality - the torch bearer jogged by so quickly that some people missed him completely and our camera had stopped working! But, truly, enjoying the locals and their enthusiasm was most memorable.

Since we spent most of the day enjoying Lewes, we had a very late start riding. Thankfully it was a short ride today from Lewes to Seaford (28 km). We’ll be camping at Buckle Caravan Camp, a few miles from the Newhaven ferry which will take us to Dieppe. The scenery through the South Downs was once again spectacular, but the traffic was unrelentingly busy and stressful for Barry as captain. We gasped a few times as impatient drivers passed us on the narrow road while competing for the road with oncoming traffic. Getting through Newhaven to Seaford was challenging as there had been road closures due to the Torch relay - nonetheless we found the 3 mile bike path to Seaford and ended our day, happily away from auto traffic.

Buckle Camp was good value, 10 pounds - spotless bathrooms - easy access to the waterfront over the bluff - but unbelievably windy. We’ll stay just one night and get the morning ferry to Dieppe. While shopping for groceries, I saw the first pay phone in days, acted on a spontaneous whim and phoned my mom collect in Victoria BC. How exciting to hear her voice and catch up. We had been lucky and caught her just before she left for lunch. In France we will look for an unlocked phone to use in Europe. We had learned that buying a phone in Canada was a a bad and expensive idea.
Early to bed ad early to rise tomorrow. Another good day. Looking forward to France.

Barry hard at work on the journal at the hotel, while Mary Ellen is wandering around Lewes
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hotel dates back to 1577. We were so lucky to arrive at the tourist office at exactly the right time, as we benefited from a massive discount at the hotel. Tip: when you arrive in Lewes, visit the Tourist Ofc. to book for same day discount bookings at various hotels. You can't get the same discount by visiting the hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hotel grounds were beautiful
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soon this street would be filled with a massive crowd waiting for the Olympic torch runner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lewes had a huge castle right in the middle of the town
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Skull Drummery troupe is arriving
Heart 0 Comment 0
Head drummer
Heart 0 Comment 0
The drumming was outstanding!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everyone seemed to be excited about the event
Heart 1 Comment 0
Check this dress out!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a cool glittery dress with the Union Jack flag on it. :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Kids waiting for the olympic relay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crowd is growing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bobbies and future bobbies were keeping an eye on security
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids were having a wonderful time
Heart 0 Comment 0
When is that runner going to show up!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0