La Charite-sur-Loire to Nevers - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2012

La Charite-sur-Loire to Nevers

A short ride today to Nevers. It is an auspicious day for us as it signifies the end of the Loire portion of our journey. The Loire a Velo trail has truly exceeded our expectations both in terms of its infrastructure and the incredible scenery, chateaus and villages we have seen.
We are both feeling like we'd like to get to the Danube as it will soon be Sept and we still have many km to go. We are considering taking the train to Dijon from Nevers. This will cut the 600 km in half that we need to ride to get to Basel Switzerland, plus it gets us to Dijon, a destination of interest to us and it gets us on a train....and we love trains. When we get to Nevers we'll see what is possible and if our tandem will fit on the train.
The route was once again well signed and newly paved. Rather than approaching Nevers through the suggested velo route via Cuffy, we opted to take D40 at Givry and approach Nevers from the west. It was a really good choice as there was a cycle lane provided beside the road all the way into town and it decreased the distance by about 20 km. Entering Nevers this way takes you through much industry and commerce, but the route was cycle friendly.
We discovered that Nevers was hosting their annual Youth Pétanque tournament - 900 kids plus their families and fans. Every hotel room and every campsite was fully booked.
We were recommended to try Espace Bernadette - a convent that offers accommodation to pilgrims trekking to holy spots and travelers. The grounds and building are beautiful, the room is spartan, breakfast is included and only 26 euros per person. We are very lucky to be staying here. We will stay 2 nights and get recharged for the next stage of our journey. On to the Danube!

A wonderful canal route after La Charite-sur-Loire on the way to Nevers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marseilles-les-Aubigne - a picturesque village along the canal route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many working and live aboard canal boats in the village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weather was unpredictable all day - but we escaped the heavy rain while riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unique signage - but it worked!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chez Fred
Heart 1 Comment 0
Met this German father and his family at our campsite
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always enjoy meeting cats-and this one found us as we were making our tuna, tomato sandwiches.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cat was quite shy, but quickly overcame that when we showed her the tin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ahhhh
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the park, wild boar sculpture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Followed by her family of young wild boar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Memorial to War casualties.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old town Nevers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beer and wifi at McDonald's!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,619 km (1,005 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0