Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna Museum of Fine Arts and a Concert - extradordinary day: "The best vegetables are meat" - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2012

Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna Museum of Fine Arts and a Concert - extradordinary day: "The best vegetables are meat"

Vienna is feeling more familiar - we are getting to know the neighbourhoods and the transit system.

Vienna was initially a bit challenging for us as the crowds are immense and we had to figure out how not to be in the centre core where the commerce and tourist shops are jammed together. For us, we need to get to the treasures of Vienna and away from the expensive fashion houses and tourist shops.

Today we visited the National Museum of Fine Arts, Kunsthistorisches Museum. The building itself is extraordinarily beautiful. We focussed on the area devoted to paintings and were there for hours. The painting collection is immense and outstanding. It is reputed to be one of the top art museums in the world. Breughel,Rubens, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Velaquex are but a few of the master artists we enjoyed.

There are so many museums that are worthy of your time and we took some time figuring out what to see.

Wandered through the "Museum Quarter", an area of large parks and about 10 different museums. The Hofburg is where the Habsburgs were based for over 6 centuries. The spectacular buildings and palaces are a living reminder of their legacy.

As we walked past the small cathedral, St. Peter's, we noticed that an organ concert was about to begin. The church has a lovely baroque pipe organ reputed to have lovely sound...so we went in. What a treat - the music, setting and the depth of sound produced by the pipes were so memorable. A perfect ending to an extraordinary day.

We finished off our evening by returning to the Gasthaus where we ate two days ago. Barry enjoyed the same boiled beef meal and I had a wonderful goulash dinner....most enjoyable. As is Austrian custom, tables are shared. As I was trying to explain how tasty the vegetables were to our dining companion, she replied "that the best vegetables are meat". I think she was perplexed by our extra order of salad and affection for vegetables. Most meals here are meat focussed with perhaps potatoes or dumplings and few vegetables.

It is the 150th anniversary of Gustav Klimt's birth in Vienna and we spent the day today at a former Habsburg palace and now the Belvedere Art Gallery - there is a special exhibit honouring Klimt, plus the entire museum is filled with other incredible art. What a thrill to see these masterpieces up close - The Kiss (Klimt) was outstanding. We saw Renoir, Monet, Schiebel, etc.

While eating our lunch outside the Art Museum by the fountain, we watched this bird drink.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice the fountains are running in Vienna - - here in DC, so many fountains are not running - which is a shame.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Kunst-historische Museum - ranks among one of the important museums in the world.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The stairs leading up to the collection - the building is so impressive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cafe in the museum - the decorative dome ceiling stretched for two stories.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rudolph II of the Habsburgs was a great patron of the arts and amassed an impressive collection, much of what is now part of the collection at the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breughel
Heart 0 Comment 0
An artist was recreating one of Breughel's masterpieces
Heart 1 Comment 0
Breughel's Peasant Wedding
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another outstanding room - we were impressed by how comfortable and accessible the rooms were
Heart 1 Comment 0
As was the custom in baroque style, paintings are displayed atop each other - in some of the rooms, paintings covered the walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Durer painting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rembrandt's self portrait
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once again a typical Baroque way of displaying art. We found that there was so much to take in, that we would sit and take our time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This artist's work from the 16th century was most unique - for the Summer image, he painted the person using various products from nature
Heart 1 Comment 0
For the winter image, he used objects and fish from the sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The collection comprises objects from seven millenia - from Ancient Eqypt to the 18th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the Ancient Egypt exhibit
Heart 0 Comment 0
The exterior of the museum - its mirror image is across the park and houses the Natural History Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Museum Quarter (home to about 10 museums)- passing through this tunnel is the home of the Lipizanner Stallions
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are often in awe of these statues, but the birds are very much at home...
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Peter's Church, a small gem in the middle of Vienna
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dome at St Peter's Church
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were so excited to chance upon this free concert - a treat
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI LOVE the free concerts at churches - - I always try to go when I see them posted!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The pipes of the baroque organ at St. Peter's
Heart 1 Comment 0
Russian musicians performing on the street
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, a wild and BIG guitar that street musician was playing!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Back for more boiled beef - delicious (the veggies are different each time) at Gasthaus Reinthaler. But as our dining tablemates said, Vegetables? the best vegetables are meat!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0