Klamesau to Feldkirchen, Camping Insel: New friends, a new country, travelling can be so good... - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2012

Klamesau to Feldkirchen, Camping Insel: New friends, a new country, travelling can be so good...

What a differnce a day makes - we awoke to a foggy view of the river, but no rain. The sauna we enjoyed last night warmed our cold, damp bones and relaxed us so that we had a marvellous sleep.

At breakfast, we shared our table with a couple from Germany who were also on a cycling holiday. They had arrived yesterday on an overnight train to Passau, had ridden through the rain as well, and are on their way to Vienna. Their plan is to take the train to Prague and ride on to Dresden.

We have seen European people of all ages and levels of fitness who do cycle holidays here. We are fascinated by this culture. Many people have rental bikes and cycle Passau to Vienna. The trail is crowded with day trippers and short term cyclists. What a difference from the solitude of the trail before Passau. It will also be quiet after Vienna.

The Danube does a crazy loop at the "Schlogen Bend". Due to teh steep cliffs, it is only possible to cycle on one side, so small bike ferries are a necessity For 3 euros we were able to cross over and cycle throught this beautiful area. High verdant cliffs topped with ancient ruins were our views through this area.

Along the trail, we were happy to reconnect with the couple from Connecticut that we met at dinner last night They had had a rough start due to a flat tire but were having a good 2nd day of riding on their rental tandem. As we were talking, laughing and sharing our day's experiences, we met another "tandem" couple from Australia. We hope we see our friends from Connecticut again and wish them well.

We are so pleased to find that camping in Austria is of a standard that we enjoyed in France. Our time in Germany had put us off camping but we found a lovely campsite in Feldkirchen, Camping Insel, set in farm land on a lake by the Danube. We are so pleased to be camping again - even though we are the only people camping.

We met this couple from Australia who were nearing the end of their tour. They had bought their tandem in Holland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was fun to reconnect with the couple we had met the previous evening at Gasthaus Luger. They had stopped for lunch and the 3 tandem couples (Connecticut, Australia and us from British Columbia) had a lot to talk about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Australian couple are on their way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uh oh, we may have lost our tandem. Such nice people - perhaps we'll run into them again as they are also on their way to Vienna.
Heart 1 Comment 0
River cruise ships ply the waters of the Danube. This one was under the bridge as we crossed from Aschach to Feldkirchen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We camped outside of Feldkirchen at Camping Insell.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the campground there was an excellent local restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
In this area of Austria cold dinners are popular. Our dinner was delicious and very cheap
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kettle is boiling for the coffee a
Heart 0 Comment 0
We woke to heavy fog and the heaviest dew and condensation of our trip
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful morning
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cool morning with great hot coffee to take the chill off
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBoy, Mary Ellen was quite bundled up for the morning -- great she had a down coat and other warm gear to put on. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A great camping spot. We were the only campers .
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,710 km (1,683 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0