Hello Istanbul! - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2012

Hello Istanbul!

Our departure from Belgrade was smooth and uncomplicated. The taxi van accommodated our bike boxes, the airport wasn't busy and the sun was shining giving us a picturesque flight out of Serbia.
Thanks to Lonely Planet Travel Forum, we learned that you can get a Turkish visa at the airport upon arrival - half the price of doing it through the Embassy and without the hassle and the time consuming week that would have been required if done in advance.
The Visa counter is clearly identified and they cheerfully take your cash (must have Euro or American $ - cost for Canadians: 45 euros or 60 US$) and within seconds you're good to go.
We waited a long time for our bike boxes to appear - a bit concerning as our flight was relatively empty. They finally arrived, battered and torn, but the contents looked good.
It was a nice touch walking out the exit to see a young man with our names on a sign waiting to take us to our hotel. Arriving and driving through Istanbul at night is a memorable experience. We are excited to explore.

Arrival at the Istanbul airport
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our smaller box took quite a beating. However, everything looks intact. We are waiting for our shuttle to our hotel. We booked our hotel on the internet after reading many reviews on Tripadvisor and other review sites. We directly emailed the hotel and had quick responses from the owner of the Ishak Pasa Hotel in Sultanhamet. The hotel includes a free shuttle to and from the airport.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After checking in to our hotel we took a walk around the neighbourhood....and what a neighbourhood!!! A dancing dervish performance in a nearby restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0