Exploring Nantes and the Start of the Eurovelo 6 - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2012

Exploring Nantes and the Start of the Eurovelo 6

We were amazed at the close proximity of our hotel to Nantes. It was less than 10 km on the velo route from the front gate of the Westotel. On our way into Nantes we passed a campground near the university which we would had planned to stay at, however, we had already had done 90 kilometres and it was getting quite late.
We were really impressed with Nantes. It has a wonderful energy. Right in the middle of the city we were awed by an impressive castle that a succession of dukes of Brittany had lived in. It was surrounded by a picturesque moat - the first intact moat we have seen. We were allowed to ride our bike right into the castle. After exploring the chateau we wandered the narrow streets of the old city of Nantes. The streets were filled with interesting interactive art exhibits. The school of architecture had created a variety of stunning and imaginative structures...some you could climb into and others were amazing to look at. During the winter, graphic artists of Nantes had designed flags representing issues important to people in France. These flags were on display in the streets of the old city.
Our first taste of riding La Loire a velo route was wonderful. Excellent signage and good quality bike paths. We followed the Loire River until we stumbled on a campground right on the trail. Belle Riverie Campground was a well run campground. All cyclists who stayed at the campground were given a welcome drink of wine. The sites for cyclists included picnic tables. This was the first campground in France that we have had a picnic table. While we were making our dinner we met a lovely couple from Holland.

A boat full of mussels and live crab from La Baie at Mont St. Michel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful prawns for sale
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doing some final internet work in the lobby of the hotel before we leave - who knows when we will next have internet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we arrived at 9:30 pm, we quickly changed and jumped into the swimming pool - to the bemusement of the diners on the terrace. We must have been a sight!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been pampered, we've swam and had a sauna. We are refreshed and ready to go. The Westotel was a lovely respite after several hot dusty days on the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
August 12 is a significant date for us - one month on the road - and we have seen so much already. It's hard to imagine the number of experiences awaiting us in the coming months.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This monument in Nantes commemorates the lost lives of the Resistance during the War - for us, its placement signifies the end of the Nantes/Brest canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nantes has showcased the creativity and sense of humour of the students of Architecture with a series of installations like this throughout the city centre. This eye catching entry was visible for quite a distance - curiosity drew us to it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat is a VERY weird art installation in Nantes!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The Castle in Nantes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wandering the castle grounds - I'm up on the ramparts and Barry is wandering in the courtyard. A wonderful city view from the ramparts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful view from the ramparts - Cathedral in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Anne, the Reine during the 15th C keeping watch over the castle - which was built for her.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ice cream...Barry....nirvana!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The popular rental bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful music to set the amibience of a wander in old town Nantes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another architectural installation - Barry braved the heights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle shoe cleats on stairs - must concentrate!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This patient dog was awaiting his family enjoying a typical 3 course French lunch at a cafe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Each flag has significance in French life in Nantes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bike arouses much curiosity - it gives us many opportunities to practice our French skills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Self service hire bikes in Nantes - remind us of the Bixi bikes in Montreal. We saw many locals and tourists using them. When you're finished with the bike, you leave it at any of the many stations in the city.
Nantes, one of the most bike friendly cities we have been in so far.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bridge in Nantes that reminded us of the Pont de Normandie - on a much smaller scale!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wonderful signage of La Loire a Velo and our first Eurovelo 6 sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stumbled on this cafe set up on the banks of the Loire - we had to stop!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the campground, we met a lovely couple from Oosterbeek, The Netherlands: Gertjan and Romkje. They were on their annual cycling tour - hope to see them again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This campground was a pleasant surprise: access directly from the trail and many special touches for cyclists, including our own gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 963 km (598 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0