Dunaujvaros to Kalocsa: Hospitality and Friendly People in Hungary - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 24, 2012

Dunaujvaros to Kalocsa: Hospitality and Friendly People in Hungary

As we have travelled through Hungary we have been touched by the hospitality and friendliness of people we meet along the way. Christina at the Pension made our stay enjoyable and memorable. As well, today, as we rode through country towns and along the main roads, people were waving, truckers were honking and giving us encouragement, people were calling out in welcome. We have heard from other travellers that as you travel further east, people are less reserved and more outgoing. We agree.
The weather has changed from the sunny high 20's to overcast and colder. There is a threat of rain for the next few days and possibly even snow.

First, our hostess at the Panzio brought us coffee, then roasted squash - delicious,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christina at the Panzio has been a lovely host. She spoke English well and we had long conversations about her home country and travelling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bobby is her dog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Behind the usual double heavy wooden doors is the quiet and private courtyard and 3 apartments.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to go - the sky is blue but it is getting colder. Christina told us that snow may be coming this w/e.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The skyline of Dunaujvaros as we were leaving across the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're not sure what these are - wine storage, homes?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road into the town of Solt is cobbled.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sidewalk was good while it lasted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hungary is making an effort to improve the infrasturcture for cyclists. More signage and more trails are being slowly developed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route for part of the day is on the old road - the new one is beside us. Lovely..
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were leaving, Christina gave us these savoury pastries for our journey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stopped for lunch at a pizzeria in a small town. As we left, everybody came out to watch us and ask us about our bike and trip. This man, Joe is Italian and lives part of his year in Hungary and part in Ontario, Canada. What a small world as his son goes to the same university I attended in London Ontario.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horse carts are becoming a common sight as we head further east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will always remember the dogs barking behind gates as we ride by in Hungary. These two were quite cute but out of their minds.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By afternoon, the weather had really deteriorated. It had become very cold and the fog has rolled in. Very poor visibility. We have put on layers and hope to reach Kalocsa soon.

Everybody uses bikes -not sure what the axe was for.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every village seems to have a stork's nest in the busiest part of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 3,659 km (2,272 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0