Chambord: Blois to Chambord - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2012

Chambord: Blois to Chambord

We seem to talk alot about food, and why not?...after all we are in France where food is to be enjoyed and relaxed over.,,and cycling does raise our appetite. Breakfast in the hotel exceeded our expectations and off we went for an easy 25 km ride on a velo route to Chambord.
Chambord, the jewel of the French renaissance is an impressive place to visit when cycling the Loire, but as well, the protected wildlife reserve of 5440 hectares surrounding it is also worth the visit. It is the largest enclosed forest park in Europe. The signs warning us to watch for wild boar and large deer came true as we were lucky to see a wild boar in the forest as we rode away from the chateau. But back to the chateau, we spent several hours walking and climbing stairs, listening to our audioguides and were completely overwhelmed and fascinated by the incredible history we experienced. The dual staircase up the centre of the castle was an architectural highlight and we later learned, was most likely inspired or designed by Leonardo da Vinci, a visitor and nearby resident of the castle.
The chateau was filled with beautiful paintings of the time depicting the royalty who resided there and the lives they lived. Plus, there were chambers decorated in the style of the period to give us a sense of the quality of life they enjoyed. There are 4500 works of art, including tapestries, paintings and furniture throughout the 90 rooms.
The chateau was originally built for Francois !st as a hunting lodge and an escape from Court. It represented the wealth and power of its owner. Basically this magnificent edifice and property was used as a getaway and rarely as a full time residence. This could be partly due to its damp location which in the summer was plagued with mosquitoes and in the winter was very damp and cold. It surprised us both, that the beautiful limestone walls and staircases had been defaced by visitors who had carved into the surface their names - at no time, did we see any staff who monitored the security of the building.
As well as the typical tourist shops, there was a market of local produce, cheese and bread available. Lunch of fresh strawberries, goat cheese and baguette by the canal overlooking the chateau was a memorable break.
We highly recommend the 30 km detour that takes a cyclist off the Loire and to Chambord. It was an easy 6 km to return to the Loire (Muides-sur-Loire) and to a municipal campground along the river.
A good day.

Mary Ellen enjoying the street view from our hotel in Blois.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view - the castle was just to the right as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The elevator, which is over 100 years old, added to the charm of our hotel. How will Barry fit it all in?
Heart 1 Comment 0
He made it...just. But, no room for me!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A tight fit getting the bike into the hotel. The size of our bike made storage a bit of a challenge as it wouldn't fit in their usual area. The manager was really helpful and put it in the bar instead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we were leaving Blois and looked back from the other side of the river, we could really appreciate the view of the city from the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the entrance to the extensive grounds of Chambord.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This family was having a blast careening around the grounds. After riding all day, we weren't tempted to give it a try.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our locally sourced lunch by the canal at the chateau.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The initial "F" is prominent throughout Chambord - refers to Francois 1, the original monarchand landowner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Francois loved Chambord for its hunting his mistresses and the carefree lifestyle, as this painting shows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wild boar was part of an ornate frame on a painting. Wild boar are a theme throughout and present on the grounds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Polish prince was given Chambord as a gift. He lived here for eight years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"The Miracle Baby" was given Chambord upon his birth
Heart 0 Comment 0
Billiards had become popular in Europe
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking up spectacular spiral staircase from the main floor
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's an incredible view inside the spiral staircase!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the 90 rooms had inefficient open fireplaces. This woodstove was an improvement
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a bizarre and disturbing avant garde art exhibit in the chateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avant garde art
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The original clock from the castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chambord
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dinner on the beach at the campground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 1,353 km (840 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0