Caen to Graye-sur-mer: Finally the road flattens out! - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2012

Caen to Graye-sur-mer: Finally the road flattens out!

Followed the Canal cycle path all the way to the Port city of Ouistreham - a bustling fishing and marine port. The Brittany Ferry from Portsmouth was just arriving. It is certainly massive - like a cruise ship- complete with casino. Our ferry to Dieppe was certainly the more modest route.
The bike route continued to Luc-sur-mer and then we rejoined the quiet D514 along the coast. Every few km we would see commemorative areas for beach landing sites of the Operation Overlord D Day invasion. They have created a wonderful balance of honour and remembrance of the war, while embracing the current peaceful recreational ambience of these seaside towns. I am sure that veterans would be comforted by the sense of normalcy that has resumed in such a historical area of battle and carnage.
We are planning to camp at Graye-sur-mer at Juno Beach “Canadian Scottish Campground” and visit the Canadian Juno Beach Museum tomorrow. This is the only museum in Normandy commemorating the Canadian effort during the war.
The day has been an easy 45 km on flat roads and fair weather. The campground is a Municipal site unlike the others along the way which are 4 star destination campgrounds. We prefer the quiet (and less expensive) setting of a municipal campground.

This is surprising - the Bartlett's at McDonald's. Well, in France things are a bit different - free wifi, freshly ground coffee (1 euro!), bathrooms complete with toilet paper and free sweets with each coffee. We have sold our souls and that's ok.
Heart 1 Comment 0
McDonald's in Caen also had a patisserie section - they have made concessions to the local palette.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Postal workers in French towns deliver by bicycle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The postie was gracious but mystified by our attention.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wonderful gargoyles on the side of the cathedral. You are being watched!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Couldn't resist this picture of the often seen ivy covered house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brittany ferry arriving from Portsmouth to Ouistreham.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sword Beach - a landing site for the American forces on D Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 341 km (212 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0