Budapest - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2012

Budapest

We are grateful that we stumbled across the NH Hotel in the dark - NH is a Dutch chain and this boutique hotel is very comfortable - the sauna last night was most welcome and helped us have a glorious sleep.
As we checked in so late last night, we have decided to stay another night rather than losing the day finding new accommodation. Barry asked for a room with a better view and they have given us a room on the top floor with an oversized deck and a view of Budapest's skyline - spectacular. Another perk is that we are steps from a historic theatre (our view) and an interesting street and are half a block from the Danube. Turkish and Hungarian restaurants are also steps away. I have long dreamed of coming to Budapest, and I think we will love it here.

The dessert section at one of our favourite Turkish restaurants. We tried many of their offerings - everything is soaked in honey, even the chocolate ones.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A few of the hot dishes on offer today at the Turkish restaurant. As well as hot entrees, there are extensive choices of side dishes and salads and breads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bakery was featuring 3 kg loaves of bread.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, 3 kg loves of bread - - it weighed a little over 6 lbs.?!! Wow.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry and a new friend near the Parliament Buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such beautiful bronze scuptures in Europe, this one featured a bronze bridge with this man standing on it - it was positioned on a street corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another friend for Barry - it is always good to befriend the local police.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry's friend is being tolerant of his limited wardrobe and Hungarian language skills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having a wander on the streets of Budapest - towards St. Stephan's Basilica.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The buildings in Budapest are artistically adorned with much carving, this face smiled down on us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a heavy rain and incredible winds, we found warmth and a dry place to sit in St Stephan's.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful tile flooring outside the Basilica.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St Stephan's is large in scope - it can seat 8000 people.
The dome is equally impressive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Stephan is the much beloved first King of Hungary - in the miniature goldn church is the mummified right hand of St. Stephan.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh my goodness....a mummified right hand?!! Ack.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
You can see his hand through the window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Since we stayed in Budapest for a week, we bought the Budapest Card to give us free metro riding and discounts for our stay. This included 2 days of Hop On Hop Off touring on double decker buses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
While on the Hop On Hop Off bus, we used headphones for a guided tour - they are prepared for many nationalities with different languages.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's interesting the Hop On Hop Off bus offered headphones and lots of languages to pick from! I wonder if all of these city tour buses offer that?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Andrassy Ut (street), the Champs d'llyses of Hungary, looking towards Heroes Square.
The street is lined with the former homes of aristocrats - the smaller roads in front of the homes were lined with wood (instead of cobbles) to reduce the noise for the residents. Today, these small roads alongside Andrassy are a favoured route for cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting gate leading to Buda Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For a fee you could try shooting an arrow the traditional way. We found it amusing to watch the young man in traditional garb surfing the net on his cell phone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bronze cyclists outside a gallery in the Castle area
Heart 1 Comment 0
Celebrating Olympic cyclists in Hungary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Palace gates at Buda Castlle
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen these birds throughout Europe - like a crow but with grey markings across their body. A young woman told us that they are magpies - but we're not sure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remains of the Buda Castle fortification.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will always remember Hungarian women for their brightly coloured dyed hair. Most women have burgundy coloured hair - no grey hair! We were impressed by this woman's bold choice of orange to match her outfit, shoes and lipstick.
In my cycling gear and limited travel clothes and grey hair, I feel so drab and conspicuous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Stephen and his horse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crow got the brass ring on this iron gate outside the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Guards standing completely still outside the President's quarters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a hot day: high 20's, how do they do it?
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Matthias Church on the hill at Buda.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The turrets and lookout at Fisherman's Bastion
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inside one of the turrets at the Fisherman's Bastion
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Stephen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishermans' Bastion at the Buda castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking at the Parliament from Castle hill at Buda. There are 365 turrets on the Parliament, one for every day of the year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking towards Margaret Island- a car free park in the middle of the Danube (and half a block from our hotel).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The reflection of the Fisherman's Bastion in the windows of the Hilton Hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buda Castle from the Citadel
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat view and picture!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0