A Turkish Island Adventure - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

November 10, 2012

A Turkish Island Adventure

We awoke in our hotel, Ishak Pasa, ready to enjoy the lovely breakfast buffet, freshly squeezed orange/pomegranate juice and Turkish tea that is prepared for us every day. At breakfast, Rabia always makes us feel welcome and brings us fresh juice as soon as we arrive. We feel so fortunate that we chose this hotel. It is wonderfully situated in a historic setting, comfortable with thoughtful touches, and, best of all, the people here are so friendly and hospitable. There is no query or problem that they can't solve.

We thought we had a plan for the day - take the ferry to Kadikoy and visit the Asia side of Istanbul. But, when we went down for breakfast, Tahsin asked us what we were going to do today. He said that when the sun is shining you must take a trip to one of the Prince’s Islands.

And he was right - for 5 Lira ($2.50), we had a scenic ferry trip through the islands for 90 minutes to the largest island, Buyukada., a magical and beautiful place. There are no cars on the island - transportation is only by horsecart, bicycle or walking. This gives the island a wonderful sense of quiet and calm. Even the dogs lie in the middle of the road - not bothered by us or the horsecarts. It’s hard to believe that the bustling and traffic congested streets of Istanbul are only 20 km away across the Marmara Sea.

The ferry was full of locals out for a day trip - there were very few tourists. The ubiquitous Turkish tea was available on board and was being served to most of the passengers by a lone hard working man who delivered tea throughout the voyage, calling “chai...chai”. We were impressed by his stamina and work ethic...tea served in glass tea cups on a tray for only 1 lira.

Like Istanbul, cats are everywhere, roaming freely - yet, they look a bit worse for the wear here. Somehow, the wild cats of Istanbul have a healthier look. We have been fascinated by the affection and food given to the cats on the streets. We have not seen this in any other city we have visited.

In Byzantine times, Princes and deposed Monarchs were sent here to live in convents and monasteries, hence the name, Princes’ Islands. The gingerbread Victorian villas from the mid 19th century remain and give an elegant air to this pretty island. Pine forests, palm trees and bouganvaillia add to the charm. It is indeed a sleepy place.

We had the option of hiring a horsecart (fayton) but we rented bikes to tour the island and climbed a very steep hill to the Greek Monastery which gave us a spectacular 360 degree view.

After riding our tandem for the past 4 months, it was fun to rent single bikes for the day to bomb around the island. The bikes were not in the best of repair, but it was a joy to feel the speed of a bike that has no gear.

We travelled back to Istanbul in the evening and were able to appreciate the spectacle of Istanbul’s illuminated skyline from the water - a fitting end to a special day.

The tram stop is near our hotel - it takes us directly to the ferry terminal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for the ferry - cats here are always ready for affection. Every seat in the waiting room was taken except the one with the cat on it. No one bothered the cat because the seat was taken. However, the cat and I came to an agreement.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our ferry to Buyukada.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia are prominent landmarks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The walls of Topkapi Palace from the ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The docks on the Asian side of Istanbul.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First stop, Kadikoy on the Asian side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We shared the ferry ride both ways with many of the same people. We got to know many of our fellow passengers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are not sure what this is. Perhaps a restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first of the Islands we stopped at - Emaliada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fresh bread is available anywhere you go in Turkey - and only 1 lira.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a good moment to capture.... The woman enjoyed seeing her photos on our camera. Wish we had her email address.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Success! A happy gull.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A stop at another island - the island we are visiting is the fourth and final stop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry is very comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have arrived.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No cars on the islands, only horse carriages and bicycles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is fun - and it's not a tandem!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
OK, this should be interesting. The brakes on our bikes aren't so good, but here goes!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We've learned that when you go down you always have to go up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The climb was well worth it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The people we met on the ferry paid for a trip around the island in a horse carriage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The steep climb up to the Greek Monastery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The white ribbons in the branches are for prayers for children.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We made it. At the top is a monastery and a restaurant with a killer view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A large group of Greek Orthodox priests and their friends were on the ferry with us. They had come up to the monastery to have a short service and then sightsee around the island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back towards Asia
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cafe at the top of the hill was most welcome and scenic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Monastery of St. George at the top of the hill. One of the few Greek Orthodox churches we have seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We don't know these fellows - they wanted us to take their picture for them and before we knew it, we were posing with them too - fellow cyclists unite!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Deliveries by horse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love the combination of bouganvallia, palm trees and Victorian houses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enjoyed the ambience of a car free, bike/horse only island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
All the horse carriages on the island gathered in this square to be fed or to have a rest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These horses are having a well deserved rest and meal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is where we rented our bikes - one of many in the village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
If you don't have a horse, well, just pull it yourself!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dogs happily "own" the road. Like Istanbul, all of the dogs have ear tags and are registered.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Restaurants line the water's edge on the Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry terminal - dates from l899 and is built in the Ottoman Kiosk style.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We've had a fun day - ready to take the ferry home. I didn't realize that my pants were still rolled up from the bike ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Departing Buyukada Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bridge connecting Europe and Asia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The end of a wonderful day - thanks Tahsin, for your suggestion of visiting Princes'Islands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fasuli's is known for their beans - a good meal. We've eaten here a few times. I really loved their grilled chicken as well....and their homemade yogurt...etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we walked home, this young man came out to talk. He was wearing multiple Canadian flag pins -his girlfriend lives in Vancouver and he is going there in a few weeks for a holiday.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A warm place for a catnap...
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 4,034 km (2,505 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonWe’ve always wanted to see Istanbul. Maybe some year. Regarding your comments about the cats though: if you ever get the chance, you should see the documentary film Keri, about the cats of Istanbul. Absolutely charming.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettTo Scott AndersonHi Scott,
We would love to see Istanbul again. It is one of our favourite cities. The documentary sounds wonderful.
All the best,
Barry
Reply to this comment
5 years ago