Weighty Matters - Grampies Go To England and France Fall 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2022

Weighty Matters

In the previous page we were trying to find a place on the bikes for all the necessary but inconvenient items that come with flying with bikes, and with having so many kinds of electronics and batteries that need to go in carry-on on on the plane. 

In this page we ask, sort of for morbid curiosity, whether it all weighs too much, and we also do a quick check on how the loads are balanced front to back and side to side.

The "internet" seems very scattered on the question of how much a touring bike setup should weigh. For example the web site "cycletraveloverload.com" which we have only casually looked at, suggests that 55 to 110 pounds is the range. That is a huge range! And that weight is for bike plus load. For starters, our unloaded bikes weigh 52 pounds. So if we pack three chocolate bars and a handkerchief we are already at that bottom weight! OK, clearly that author has not yet heard of ebikes, which can easily weigh over 60 pounds unloaded!

On the other hand, our actual gear weighs in (excluding water or food) at about 12 pounds in the rear for Dodie, 12 in the front, and 4 for the handlebar bag. That 28 pounds of gear for her to carry, putting  her whole bike at about 80 pounds. The equivalent numbers for me are 21 rear, 17 front, 4 handlebar bag (before being stuffed with snacks!) for 42 pounds of gear and a total bike weight of about 95 pounds.  That is still under the top weight that the web site mentioned. On the other hand, 95 pounds is no fun if you are hoisting it up three steps onto a train. But then again, according to livestrong.com an average untrained male should be able to bench press 135 pounds. That makes my bike 40 pounds underweight, assuming I want to bench press rather than ride it!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Jacquie GaudetI weighed my bike and gear for my last trip in France (French Fling) and the total was around 70 pounds. I was camping but not cooking (an excellent compromise in much of Europe) and that bike (unloaded) is heavy, in my opinion, but not an ebike. I didn't include my bike case or duffle or anything else I took just for the flight in that weight; instead, I stuffed those things into the bike case and Al took it back to our Paris airport hotel. On point-to-point tours, I've shipped the case to the hotel booked for the night before departure. You might want to consider that.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetGood idea Jacquie. We will be seeing a friend in Paris and might try to mail not needed things to his place. From Paris we can easily contact our last hotel in Marseille and possibly forward the packing materials to them. Stay tuned for the exciting decision making ahead.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ben ParkeMy touring load usually comes in around the weight Dodie has, partly because I was hauling around a big DSLR camera. The e-bike aspect does add quite a bit of weight. I’d say your loads are not unusual, especially when you consider the variety of weather you’ll hit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Ben ParkeSo true. The real problem with touring in a shoulder season is that one must carry clothing for changing weather which adds to the weight. One can cart around several pounds of stuff that is not used until half the tour is over. Our addiction to electronics does not help weight wise either.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ben ParkeTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThings add up so quickly. A few grams here, a few grams there. Next thing you know you're talking kilograms.

When I went to Italy last summer, I ended up with a faulty weather report and thought I needed a lot of warm clothes. Between that and too much camera gear, uphill was a real slog. It is a struggle we touring cyclists face.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Ben ParkeNot only that, but the longer the time interval between getting packed up and actually leaving the more "necessary" stuff we seem to find and add to the bags. Thank goodness we leave tomorrow or we would not be able to move the bikes at all.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ben ParkeTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is true. I have found some success in repeating to myself “you will hav Erik ride uphill with all this…”, but I think that is more effective when you haven’t got an e-bike. In your case just throw that motor into turbo and off you go!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsI was on a peak summer tour, so didn't have the complications of packing for two seasons. But I was camping and carrying cookware, a small stove, fuel, and food as well as tent, sleeping pad, and down quilt. All in, and included 7 pounds of CPAP batteries, my gear weight was around 60 pounds when I had freshly resupplied my food and snacks.

The bike, a New World Tourist, tips the scales at 25 to 27 pounds if I recall correctly, so a total of 80 to 82 pounds before water. Add almost a gallon of water in four bottles and a 2 liter CamelBak and it's 90 pounds.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago