The Route - in England - Grampies Go To England and France Fall 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2022

The Route - in England

The route starts in the UK, because as we've said, it is one of the few European countries that will have us, so soon after our last outing. Our only options are the countries shown in grey or green, and of these only England and Ireland are not in the looming shadow of Russia and Ukraine, or are Russia and Ukraine.

Panniers loaded and nowhere to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0

OK, UK it is, but our thinking is still constrained. We don't feel all in for a UK tour, else the LEJOG (Landsend to John O Groats), that is, UK end to end -1500 km, could have been a Grampies natural choice.

UK end to end? nah.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Instead we are thinking of a relatively tame toddle around the south, sticking mostly to what the British rather comfortingly refer to as the Home Counties, plus the close in Shires. We have read that the Home Counties are so named because you can make your home there and still commute to London, and the Shires are the pastoral further out areas. Shire actually seems just to mean County, because for example Yorkshire is awfully far from "home". Anyway, Shires makes us think of Hobbits, making them ok with us.

In looking at the map of England, we see familiar or familiar sounding locations all over the place. We favour ones that crop up in literature, in stories that somehow mean something to us. So for example, we would veer towards (or away from!) Midsomer Norton, that appears in the Midsomer Murders, or Oxford - for Inspectors Morse and Lewis, or we would look for Shakespeare in Stratford on Avon. 

One place particularly attractive to Dodie is Shrewsbury (in Shropshire), the location of the Abbey that fictionally was the home of Brother Cadfael. "Brother Cadfael is the main fictional character in a series of historical murder mysteries written between 1977 and 1994 by the linguist-scholar Edith Pargeter under the name "Ellis Peters". The character of Cadfael himself is a Welsh Benedictine monk living at the Abbey Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, in Shrewsbury, western England, in the first half of the 12th century. The stories are set between about 1135 and about 1145, during "The Anarchy", the destructive contest for the crown of England between King Stephen and Empress Maud" (Wikipedia)

Heart 0 Comment 0

In practical terms, our route is mostly guided by the UK "National cycle Network" (NCN), which was set up and administered by the organization Sustrans. In 2012 we learned of Sustrans and got some of their maps. They really were a mess then, with missing or confusing on road direction signs all over the place. Lacking GPS then, we did a lot of aimless wandering.  This year we are better prepared, and we hope so are they.

Some of the NCN routing is also part of the formidable Eurovelo system, and the whole thing can be seen and downloaded on super sites like "cycle.travel".  More on how we downloaded and chopped up routes in a later page.

We learned that the Andersons also based their UK travel on NCN routes, but unlike us, they feel free to strike out on jaunts, presumably dreamed up by algorithms, such as on Ride With GPS.

Given all these various considerations, here is what we came up with for England:

12 tracks around southern England
Heart 3 Comment 7
Scott AndersonOne quibble. The Andersons don’t use RideWithGPS to create or dictate their routes. They use it as a technical drawing tool to craft them and transfer them to their Garmins so they don’t have to buy and lug around a box of paper. Mostly they build their routes from scratch using intuition, experience, and the best information they can find.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI do somewhat the same as Team Anderson (Al stays out of it because he doesn't want to be blamed if something goes awry) except that I also carry paper maps (1:200 000 scale). I create routes at home using RideWithGPS but I make them go my way.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesFrom a lot of cycling in the U.S., but also most recently near Innsbruck, we really want to avoid running onto, or trying to cross over, high speed motorways. Thsat why we like to know someone has been there before, even if it's an AI. A really bad one, from last trip, was finding that there was no way, really no way, to cycle or walk from Frankfurt airport to our hotel, the Park Hotel, 2 km away as the crow flies. (Ok, there might vaguely be an 11 km route, but you need the AI to find it.)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAI =?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonArtificial Intelligence
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh. OK. I considered that but didn’t see how it would pertain.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesAh, so that opens an interesting but maybe not super relevant question of what is a sophisticated program and database but still not an "artificial intelligence". It seems to me that seeing how to wend one's way through a maze of roadways and not land up at some bicycle impassable dead end, is quite a feat of database and analysis. If you lack the natural intelligence of a Scott or Jacquie, or the recorded experience of someone who has done it before, as with a signed route, then you need some ... "artificial intelligence"!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This route extends for a short 1800 km (oh, oh, longer than LEJOG!), which at 60 km per day on average, we should be able to cover in 30 days. Hey, that would put us just on track for sleazing back into the EU. (90 days from when we left on July 12 is October 10). In practice, we should get distracted by looking at some of England's little attractions, like London!, so we could be a bit late showing up on the other side of the Channel.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Beth ArtHow about a detour up to Ely. This is the area where Alys Clare's, Lassair series of novels are set. A visit to Ely cathedral was a highlight of our tour of England.
Lis
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jonathan HechtFWIW, I did a pretty similar route many Septembers ago and really enjoyed it. I was completely taken with Stonehenge (before the new center was built), and also loved Bath.

But…aren’t your bikes in Leipzig? And isn’t Leipzig in the Schengen Zone? 😱😱

Jonathan
Reply to this comment
1 year ago