Is This Really Going to Happen? - Grampies Go To England and France Fall 2022 - CycleBlaze

Is This Really Going to Happen?

Remember the determined Dodie that launched a "War on Weeds" using nothing but hand tools and a sun hat, in the last page? She found out (like the Ukranians) that a war without the heavy artillery on your side can be punishing. In this case what went down was the left wrist of the left handed Dodie. It didn't snap, exactly, while yanking a monster Western Dock. Rather Dodie later reported a pain, that kept her from sleeping. It was severe enough that she was sure she would not be able to ride her bike. So it was off to x-ray, to look for the stress fracture. But no, the weeds had only  triggered an arthritis flare. The doctor recommended an ultra strength anti-inflammatory cream, pain killers, and a wrist brace.

One of the few Western Dock (or could be common Sorrel or Curly Sorrel?) that survived the Weed Wars.
Heart 0 Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltOf all the Rumex species in the area, (14 according to Wildflower Search website) it seems to match western dock the best.

https://www.saskwildflower.ca/nat_Rumex-occidentalis.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltIt's a big generous to call this brute a wildflower!

The site gives the maximum height as 53 inches, which accords with my four foot claim!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI won't call any Rumex wildflowers... Nothing flowery about them. I really do like the lookup site for IDs of all kinds of plants north of central Mexico and north to southern Canada.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the link to the identification website. Is it OK if we continue to rely on you to do the work?-it takes too much time on the road, and besides, we love to hear from you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat's part of why I continue to do nature IDs for cycle tourists... I know what it is like to try and keep a journal on tour... let alone try to find IDs with limited time, limited energy and limited internet! You really do quite a good job!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Note, unlike last time, the fingers look good.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dodie will have to carry a wrist brace and a spare, in addition to her knee brace, but the trip is still on. So tune in tomorrow for more preliminaries, like how are we finding  UK pounds to use along the way.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rachael AndersonSorry to hear about your wrist.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Michel FleuranceWe cannot afford this in Europe any more, but a cataplasm with Canadian mustard seeds could heel the pain ?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenOuch! Thank goodness it isn’t broken. We are booking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael. It is pretty much back to normal now and the braces and creams will be travelling with us for any flareups. Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenYeah, broken is worse than just pain. Anyway, it seems to have resolved itself for now and at least I know what to do if it flares again. Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceOr we could just bring a tonne of mustard seed with us and take it to Dijon. We hear there is a shortage now.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago