Day 47: Evry to Moret-Sur-Loing - Grampies Go To England and France Fall 2022 - CycleBlaze

October 23, 2022

Day 47: Evry to Moret-Sur-Loing

Heart 0 Comment 0

What a difference  day makes, is the old saying, and this certainly applied to Evry. Last night we were struggling through traffic there in the dark, and not at all impressed with the modern style of the place.  Well ok, this morning in the light we are still not impressed with the style of the place. Have a look:

The cathedral of Evry
Heart 4 Comment 2
Beth ArtAre those real love trees growing up on top?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Beth ArtThey do seem to be. It is maybe the only feature that even a little bit appeals to us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Evry buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evry building
Heart 0 Comment 0

At least now we understand, that Evry was built in the 60's, when nearby Orly was the main Paris airport. Many of the 60's buildings have been cleared away, so perhaps what we are seeing is even more recent.

Now as to fighting with traffic, we don't quite know what our problem was, because this morning a bike path appeared, almost directly from our hotel to the bike route!

Proof of the link between Evry and the route.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The path not only existed, it was great!
Heart 4 Comment 0
We passed over the N7, and even it seemed here to have a bike path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
When it rains it pours. These cyclists stopped to advise us on the best way to go.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The cyclists that we were talking to seemed to agree that it would be better to follow the official bike route, which runs by the Seine, than to try the road. So down we went to the Seine. If you zoom the map above,  and also change the map style to "map", you will see it all so clearly.  Our starting point was on the Seine, our ending point was on the Seine, and the idea of Scandiberique planners here was, yes, to follow the Seine.

This was an ok idea, at least at first. The Seine is beautiful to look at, and early on their were some islands than gave it a much smaller, more intimate appearance:

The Seine
Heart 4 Comment 0
The path by the Seine was tranquil. This is a little side channel of the river.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In somebody's garden, this tree looked like an orange, but clearly it can not be. These have to be apples, but the colour is unique.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Beth ArtThey look like persimmons to me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Along the river trail some genius set up one of those devilish barricades. Dodie's bike just managed to make it through.

Heart 3 Comment 0
According to the sign, anyone that does not have a motor scooter can make it though.
Heart 1 Comment 5
Jacquie GaudetIt seems like the u-shaped gate should rotate? I'd want to see a video of how it's supposed to work.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ben ParkePray tell, how exactly does one get a wheelchair through that contraption?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetAlthough the gate rotates skightly the trick is to get the bike positioned so that it both fits in and can be shifted inside to pivot through the barrier. Not really easy with front and rear bags.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI just looked on the Semco.fr website (which has an English option). It seems the idea is to roll one's bike through the slot, which would be tricky with low-slung panniers. I think my bike would make it with rear panniers, but I'd have to pop off the front ones if I was using them. I suspect that might be quicker than trying to get through the U-shaped, supposedly rotating gate. Or, if I didn't have full-coverage fenders mounted, I could roll my bike upright on its rear wheel, probably backwards.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Ben ParkeBeats me!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
But this guy is trapped and having to disassemble his bike. He looks more dumbfounded than angry.
Heart 4 Comment 0

An early town we ran into on the river was Corbeil-Essonnes. We crossed on a bridge here and got a view of part of the town from it. We are on the route that Patton took to Paris, so this bridge was named for Patton's army. From the bridge we could see a lot of swans, which we love.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bunch of swans decided to cross the river, and they formed a very determined flotilla.
Heart 5 Comment 0

A soon as we entered the town we were pleased and surprised to find a market in progress. At first it seemed like mainly a dry goods market, which we find boring, but there was some fruit and some BBQ around as well. What struck us about this market was its air of active excitement. It felt more like something in the third world. Perhaps there is a high immigrant percentage here, and the people are recreating what they are used to back home.

 

People were actively going through the produce
Heart 2 Comment 0
This kind of snake oil lady was pitching some "magic" product and had attracted a crowd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of goods on offer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clothes of all sorts
Heart 0 Comment 0

We discovered that the food stalls were mostly hiding indoors. There were a lot of them, with several cheese stalls, multiple fish counters, produce, and lots of exciting prepared foods.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scary!
Heart 2 Comment 0
What are these?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltDodie is so not a seafood fan. And sharks! Uggghh!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ah, coquilles St Jacques
Heart 2 Comment 0

The market was a real high for us, and though we were soon back on the river bank, I was rather hoping that other towns along the way would have markets too. We had been prepared to buy some BBQ chicken and those yummy potatoes, but I passed, hoping for even yummier (cooked longer) ones further down the track.

Alas, it was not to be, and things actually took a turn quite for the worse for us, and we followed the riverside trail. Dodie has collected some handicaps, over the past year, and in fact over the past two months.  From the Mexico crash, her balance is still not at all what it was. With that, she risks being thrown by a muddy track, and/or one with a lot of roots or rocks. And in the last two months, arthritis has flared in both wrists. Se is wearing braces on both sides, slathering on the Voltaren, and taking a lot of Tylenol. Still the wrist burn. Consequently, a rough track with stones and a lot of bouncing, can be excruciating.

The riverside path was alternately rough, muddy, and with roots and rocks. It was all that, more than, Dodie could take. She had to begin to walk rather than ride.  But as I said, the route planners had thought it great to follow the river for kms. That meant about 60 kms, to reach our planned stop today. There was no way to walk 60 kms, at least not before tomorrow morning!

Rough,
Heart 1 Comment 0
... or muddy, we have a reason to avoid them both.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We began to search the GPS for a way out, but not only were there not many ways off the river bank, there seemed to be no easy on road ways to get where we were going.  If you look at the track map. at km 25.7, you will see that the travellers, who dutifully had been following the river, suddenly made a break for it. In fact, we pushed up an embankment/rough track and hopped the railway tracks, onto a road. 

Our recollection of France was that "D" roads whose number did not start with a "9" were fairly usable for cycling.  But today this did not seem to be exactly the case. D607, D142, D606, etc. all had the same characteristic - light to moderately heavy traffic, no shoulder, no sidewalk, or a sidewalk clogged with parked cars, discontinuities, and broken pavement.

D607
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shot is typical of all the other D roads today, except that the moderate flows of traffic are not shown.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Susan CarpenterI also thought that the smaller D numbers meant lower traffic. This is often the case, but I've found that there is no strict correlation. For what it's worth, I usually use Google Street view to look at any road I am might add to my route. The width of the road and number of lines is most useful, with no lines being the best. The road in the picture has both a center line and shoulder lines - this 3 line pattern usually indicates a busier D road.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Susan CarpenterIn Day 48 you will see some really nice D roads! Yes, centre and shoulder lines spell trouble. We are practiced in riding those shoulder lines, always wishing they were a little fatter. In England we liked a centre line because it allowed one to measure just how brazenly an oncoming vehicle was coming down OUR SIDE of the road.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Unlike yesterday, the traffic flows were not so heavy that every single car overtaking us would be in a squeeze by situation. Rather there were lots of opportunities to cross the centre line and give us a good clearance. When there was oncoming traffic, some overtaking drivers waited for their opening, but others, of course, squeezed by, some slow, some fast. Overall, it was ok, else I would not be here typing the account of the 30 on road kms we did, to avoid the idyllic river!

We arrived at Moret-sur-Loing to find an old and interesting village, with its two original gates still in place. We are staying in a old house, with the bikes in an inner courtyard. Our young landlady, Maia, seems to also make barley sugar candy as a business, according to an ancient recipe.

One of the original gates.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It's a medieval town. This seems to be the barley sugar museum.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

"A speciality of the town of Moret-sur-Loing, barley sugar is one of the oldest boiled sweets in France. Enjoyed for over 300 years, this candy is available as amber-coloured round sweets or translucent sticks.

It was first made in 1638 by nuns in the town, who prepared sweets with cane sugar and barley for medical purposes. They were soon a big hit in the court of Louis XIV, but production stopped in 1792 after the sisters left. Barley sugar production was resumed again under the Second Empire, by the sisters of La Charité de Moret. They made them until 1970, before giving the recipe (which is still a secret today) to a confectioner in the town."

No doubt we will learn more about this at breakfast tomorrow, as this is a B&B. Two of the candy sticks were in our room  as a demo. Tasted like candy!

We have also not looked much at our very old building, or the town. But we will! Wait for it!

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,860 km (1,155 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Tricia GrahamMoret is where my niece Louise lives and where our bikes are resting! Wished were there
Take care
Tricia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamThe other great thing about Moret as well as Louise is there is an amazing bike museum. It is called the Vélo Bee and is on the bike route from Nemours. The lovely man fitted a new tire on my bike in 2019. By the way when we come from Paris to Moret we catch the RER from the Gare de Lyon!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Michel Fleuranceyes, shark that the french call // saumonette // le nom commercial utilisé en français pour plusieurs espèces de petits requins, les petites roussettes, les aiguillats communs et des émissolles. Ces requins prennent cette appellation une fois étêtés, vidés et écorchés. Ils font partie des requins les plus consommés en France avec le requin-taupe. Bon appétit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi,
From your location the route south will lead you through Migennes where you will have to make a decision: Do you go south along the Yonne to Auxerre, and eventually the Canal du Nivernais and thence the Canal du Centre, or do you cross the river to get onto the Canal de Bourgogne and thence through Tonnerre toward Dijon? Both routes are largely off road and well paved and both will get you into the valley of the Saône. If you go the Dijon route you will be revisiting familiar ground, but you will come through Gevrey. The Auxerre route passes Close to Vezelay and Nevers, and through Paray-le-Monial. Both routes rejoin at Chagny. You doubtless have all this well in mind, but give me an indication of your chosen route, and I’ll do what I can to try to meet you along the way (or come through Dijon and stop by our house for supper).
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinHi Keith, it is Auxerre and the Canal de Nivernais, that we baked into our GPS. We are hoping to hit Auxerre tomorrow. We sure hope to see you somewhere. It is still likely to be Chagny?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceYes, I was afraid of that, they make us think of Jaws. Do you know the 2022 film The Requin? I think it is quand meme in English.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago