Day Two: Sidney: The Salish Sea - Grampies Go Lochside (Again) Summer 2017 - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2017

Day Two: Sidney: The Salish Sea

The west coast of North America in the vicinity of the Canada/US border is a standout because of the network of offshore islands and channels to the east of the massive Vancouver Island. These waters include Georgia Strait, Juan da Fuca Strait, Puget Sound, and the Hood Canal. Since 2010 the whole thing has been designated the "Salish Sea", after the Coast Salish indigenous peoples here.

Surrounded by mountains and rainforest, the Salish Sea is a wonderful natural area. Probably most evocative of its wild nature are the pods of resident and migratory killer whales, which form the basis of an active whale watching industry.

Sidney, sitting on top of the Saanich Peninsula, is located smack in the middle of the Salish Sea. That made it a natural for the Centre for the Salish Sea aquarium and interpretative centre. Any time we are in the area with any kids we are sure to bring them back to the Centre. Compared to others we have visited, it is not overly big or complex, but it is still beautiful and offering lots of learning possibilities.

The heart of the Centre is a room of floor to ceiling aquaria, representing different environments in the water. There are also three large movie screens, showing both underwater and aerial views. Possibly the most popular are tanks with anemones and urchins that can be touched. The anemones' arms are surprisingly grippy, and the urchins, or course, properly spikey.

Parks Canada has a presence at the Centre, since there is the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve in the area. The kids much enjoyed the story of a 1000 year old clam garden (indigenous clam growing area) being restored by the Parks Service.

Back downtown, we found a bit of a Canadian rarity - a cafe with sidewalk tables. This gives us a place to park and watch our bikes, and room for kids to be themselves, drop food under the table, and other despicable behaviours!

Sidney has another whizbang feature for parents - a park with play equipment totally enclosed by fence, for the kids, and a covered (shady) picnic shelter for parents. From the shady shelter the parents can watch the kids run themselves ragged, and presumably come out ready for bed!

Colourful tanks with jelly fish
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of Jelly Fish
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelp forest tank
Heart 0 Comment 0
The aquarium has one Giant Pacific Octopus
Heart 0 Comment 0
What you see in the touching tank
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checking out the touch tank
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parks Canada story time
Heart 0 Comment 0
A killer whale skull, one of many simialr displays
Heart 0 Comment 0
The skeleton of a sea lion
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Centre experience includes a simulated submarine dive - not well received by Joseph!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little scientist
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salish Sea guidebooks at the Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joe develops his jumping form outside the Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Practice makes perfect
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ok, enough already
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids hang out downtown, attracting attention from the many passing grannies.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 27 km (17 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0