To Tossa del Mar - Nice to Lisbon 1997 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 1997

To Tossa del Mar

This was yet another day which refused to follow the script.  We had planned to make up a bit of time by catching the coastal ferry from Palamos to Blanas, saving ourselves about 70km of riding.  Pursuing this pla, we got an early start and biked fairly quickly to Palamos (noting on the way that the route out of Tamariu was much simpler - bairly contoured at all - than the one we took in, and would have spared us the pain of the night before had we only known).

In Palamos we purchased tickets for the ferry, pleased to find that it was inexpensive and bike friendly.  Then we flopped out on the beach for four hours to await its departure time - alternately swimming in the warm sea, lounging on our rented beach chairs, and surreptitiously eyeing the scantily clad bathers surrounding us.  As departure time neared, we lined up at the water's edge with our fellow travelers to be, and waited futilely for about an hour until we were informed that athe boat had cancelled out for the day for unstated reasons.

After collecting our refunds and mentally regrouping, we saddled up again and struck out for Tossa del Mar, 40 km (40 hilly, windy, lovekly km) to the south.  Tossa is a gorgeous town - probably teh most picturesque stay we enjoyed on this trip.  It lies on a perfect horseshoe bay, rimmed to the north and south by steep headlands.  To the south it is delimited by a beautiful old castle, the walls ofwhich grow organically out of the rock and the edge of town.  Before dinner we walked to the top of the castle and were rewarded from its ramparts by great views over the coast and town as well as by a spectacular sunset.  For dinner we enjoyed a fine pasta meal at an outdoor cafe, one of a number of attractive alternatives available.  Months afterwards we still reminisced on this town as one of the highlights of the vacation, and one we would love to return to for a longer stay.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tossa del Mar
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 718 miles (1,156 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0