To Sainte-Enemie - Nice to Lisbon 1997 - CycleBlaze

September 7, 1997

To Sainte-Enemie

I awoke a bit early this morning and went out with the camera.  I wanted to return to a spot neara the river we had visited the night before - it had a great view of the village, and I had berated myself then for leaving the camera in the room.  It was still a fine view in the morning, but not so good as in the glow of sunset.  I was glad to have gotten out early though as I enjoyed the stillness of the morning and the cats skulking on the walls of the town.

After a short but lovely ride, Rachael and I arrived in beautiful St Enemie about 11 - and were enticed to stay by the many signs advertising canoe rides on the Tarn.  We check in at a hotel with a fine view over the old town from our room, and then after a bit more exploration rented a canoe and pick up service for the afternoon.  We set off for our pickup point at La Malene, 13 km downstream, and set about learning the basic techniquest to permit us to keep our craft afloat and pointed downstream.  It took awhile, but we did fine; and unlike some couples, we reached our destination without capsizing.  We had a great time; I thoroughly enjoyed viewing the walls of the canyon and the villages en route from a riverine perspective.  There were several spectacular vantage points.  I especially admired the town and bridge of St Chely, while Rachael was quite impressed by a young man sunning au naturel on the shore.  The ride was a great success and well worth spending the day we'd saved in bypassing Nimes.  The ride batck in the van was harrowing however - the road very narrow, shoulderless, winding, and heavily trafficked.

After returning to town, showering, and wandering around rather ineffectually in search of a plan, we ended up in an outdoor creperie in the old 12th century complex that crowns the town - making pigs of ourselves once more, and enjoying the company of a single minded German shephard that hovered by our table throughout the meal.

Along the Gorge du Tarn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint-Chely
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint-Enemie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boating on the Tarn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint-Chely and the Tarn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fending off the scavengers, Saint-Enemie
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 13 miles (21 km)
Total: 289 miles (465 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0