To Carcassonne - Nice to Lisbon 1997 - CycleBlaze

September 11, 1997

To Carcassonne

This was a short, fairly strenuous ride.  The first 20 km were steadily uphill, to the summit of the Black Mountains.  The climb, though long, was quite pleasant, following a stream through deep, quiet woods the entire way.  The summit opened into expansive farmlands with large views to the southwest.  After picnicking at the summit we embarked on the descent - which proved to be disappointingly slow and difficult, starting with a very steep and winding stretch over a packed gravel surface.  It was a great relief to strike pavement again half-way down.

Carcassonne is every bit the marvel that its reputation suggests.  We spent all afternoon there, after unloading at our hotel just a block behind the walls.  We were fortunate in arriving at the same time that an English tour was just commencing - the animated, enthusiastic young female guide added much to our understanding and appreciation of the site.  For dinner we ate at a riverside restaurant overlooking the old city.  It was a wonderful location for enjoying the view in the waning light of the day; but the salads were embarrassingly huge.  Neither of us made a significant dent in the heaps placed before us.

Carcassonne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carcassonne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carcassonne
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 483 miles (777 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0