To Barcelona - Nice to Lisbon 1997 - CycleBlaze

September 17, 1997

To Barcelona

A difficult day, as predicted.  The ride in to Barcelona was every bit as strssful as I'd feared.  It began well enough, with a pretty coastal ride to Lloret del Mar - and continued to be at least bearable for the next 20 or so kilometers.  The final two hours though were in continually heavy traffic on the main highway - which, remarkably enough, is the only option available.  We arrived at last in the city in early afternoon, nervewracked and weary but safe.

Without too much difficulty we found our rooms, in a pension on the Ramblas.  It was quite a humbe affair but quiet, clean and comfortable.  Its only real drawback was the lack of bike facilities - we crammed them on the tiny balcony of our third floor room, after I lugged them up the narrow, steep staircase.

Highlights of our two night Barcelona visit:

- after several wrong turns, we finally located the laundromat on a small alleyway off the Ramblas, and dropped off our disgusting wardrobe for a badly needed bath.  After several more wrong turns we found it again the next day.

- The Ramblas include a very colofrul and lively blend of shops, stalls and performance artists.  It featured an art style I've not seen before - costumed statues.  Elaborately dressed artists (an aborigine, Don Quixote, and so on) stood in motionless poses, awaiting donations from passersby.

- The cathedral was wonderful.

- The Catlan national folk dance, the Sardana, was performed in front of the cathedral by passersby to a traditional dance band.

- The Sagrada Familia defies comparison to any other architecture.  It is weird, surreal, and strangely beautiful.  Other of Gaudi's creations which we passed in Barcelona are similarly strange and delightful.

- A great meal at a traditional hole-in-the-wall Catalan cafe.

- An Ecuadoran folk-rock group performing in the plaza at the head of the Ramblas.

- The Picasso museum.

Waiting for the ferry, Blanes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sagrada Familia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dancing the Sardana
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Picasso Museum, Barcelona
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Barcelona
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of Gaudi's creations, Barcelona
Heart 0 Comment 0
More from Gaudi, Barcelona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barcelona, from the Sagrada Familia
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 774 miles (1,246 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0