To Arles - Nice to Lisbon 1997 - CycleBlaze

September 3, 1997

To Arles

The highlight of the day and of the tour so far was Les-Baux-de-Provence, an ancient village north of Arles. It is a very scenic village in a striking ridge top setting offering great vistas across the entire Rhone delta, in addition to possessing its own special qualities.  After wandering through the grounds to our satisfaction we indulged ourselves at a creperie and then coasted back down to the lowlands again. This is lovely country, dominated by olive groves, vineyards, and bamboo-like grass thickets.

 On the way to Arles we stopped to view the remains of a Roman aquaduct, and to tour the Benedictine abbey of Montmajour.  The abbey was particularly worth a visit, with its evocative atmosphere and many fine architectural features.

Arles was a mild disappointment - too much traffic for our liking, and its attractions oddly  uninspiring.  Perhaps Les Baux and Montmajour were too much of an act to follow on the same day.  It was especially disappointing to see the Roman amphitheater filled with modern seats and light standards.

Le Baux-en-Provence
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Baux-en-Provence
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montmajour Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 136 miles (219 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0