Antwerp - Temse - Dendermonde - Lisa and Chuck - Bike n Barge 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2023

Antwerp - Temse - Dendermonde

Run:

I had a morning run in Antwerp. 

I ran through an urban park and found a farmers market.  Some city parts were a bit sketchy. 

Pet birds in a food market! Yikes!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of nice produce, much organic.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride:

We started with a painfully slow ride to different sights in downtown Antwerp. Really not a good place for 40 riders trying to stay together. But it is an interesting place. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
The train station. They have four levels of eight train platforms. Big place.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Antwerp U
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time for coffee!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We followed the other tour leader today, Hogo. He is more annoying as Joan ( Yo Ann), but in a worse way.  You can’t talk him out of a navigational error. And lots of sudden slowing as he looked at the mapping on his phone.   He went off course twice and just followed the River instead of the planned route. We missed some stuff that the other group saw.  But at least we found the boat at the end…. And dinner:)

We had a nice cycling day and saw quite a few nice sites and a castle stop for a break. 

Restored abode
Heart 0 Comment 0
An exmple of tiny cabins around tiny lakes.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretFor watching birds and catching fish!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
These houses are well below the canal water level. The sheep don’t seem concerned.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a stop at an eccentric artist’s studio for a quick visit. He collects fossils and stone specimens himself in his 4x4 truck in Egypt etc. Then he built his studio with some, and displayed others both inside and out of the studio. Interesting but weird. Maybe it’s just an artist thing. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was an easy ride overall. We can’t chat much as it is mostly single file riding. There is just so much cycling traffic on the cycling paths that you have to. Even in the country. Bikes everywhere. Stupid bikes!!!

Dendermonde
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretThe home of the wayward steed!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Dendermonde
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we hope to ride to the unique city of Ghent quickly so we can spend the afternoon there.   Some of our group tend to dawdle at rest breaks but we are cracking them into form. 

Meals:

The food on the boat is fantastic. Dinners are amazing and even impress Lisa with the flavours, variety, and presentation. 

Maybe I’ll take a few foodie snaps tomorrow. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0