The Route - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2022

The Route

We didn't really start out with the idea that we have to complete the route that got cut short in 2019. But of course with the bikes stored in Leipzig, Leipzig is a point that routes will have in common.  And in 2019 we did plan to follow the Elbe north, at least for a bit, so Leipzig and the Elbe seemed to be carryovers as we planned this 2022 quest.

Another 2019 bit that seems to still draw us is the idea of climbing the Rhine out of the Bodensee, as it comes down from its source in the Swiss Alps. And now we have some friends that moved to that area (just by Liechtenstein) creating an added reason to go that way.

And Salzburg - not only is it gorgeous, but it is sort the centre for Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music, who have some kind of psychological role in this trip!

Finally there is Prague, which not only did we not feel done with in 2019, but we have a pile of Czech Korunas that we still have to get rid of.

To get to Prague, we could find ourselves in eastern Czech, trundling along the "Iron Curtain"trail, but right now being too far east does not feel all that comfortable. So that suggests cutting straight from Munich to Prague, and of course Bikeline has a book for that! Munich also has Suzanne Gibson and Janos, who also have to be a major draw!

All these ideas, and many more, rolled around in our heads, and out popped this route:

4200 km of cycling goodness!
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's possible to divide the route into stages, and that can be helpful in dealing with the quite a few thousand kms involved. So we are thinking of it as: 

1. Down the Elbe to the North Sea (at Cuxhaven)

2. Up the Weser, and the Rhine to Basel, and then toward the source of the Rhine in Switzerland.

3. East along the base of the Alps to Salzburg and environs

4. North to Prague and back to Leipzig

In the blog there will be no problem knowing exactly where we are in all this, because each page will begin with an interactive map.

So like Max in my favourite cycling book, let's jump on our two wheelers and say:

Jetzt geht's los! We're off!
Heart 1 Comment 0

(Illustration is from Max Lernt Radfahren, a children's book that proved way too complex for us to read in German!)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Janet Anspach-RickeySteve and Dodi! The route looks so amazing. Following along and we have a bunch of rides in our future too! In August we plan to ride up into Canada! First we have to finish our remodel that is still going on! It'll be great to have you two to follow. Janet and Steve in Poulsbo, WA
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Janet Anspach-RickeyYes, just think - at least 90 more pages of cycling goodness!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonLos geht's und gute Fahrt! Haha, that will probably get a few laughs.

I feel honored that you mentioned Janos and me as a reason for riding through Munich. We'll try not to disappoint. Already researching the best Torten for the meaning of life.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonResearch is good....but make sure you leave some for us to sample together.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierNice route! This covers some ground that's been of interest to us for quite a while. We'll be following carefully! I hope you have a great trip!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonLooks like a great route!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago