The Meaning of Life - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2022

The Meaning of Life

We started with the idea that the Meaning of Life or the Reason for Living would be the thing or things that have you getting up each morning. If we are depressed or despondent, we might have forgotten what these things are, or we might know what they are but somehow can not reach them given where we are or what we are currently doing.  The hope is that in Cycle Touring we can not only remember or learn  why life is great, but also reach with the bike the things that make it so.

At the end of each day of this trip we wrote down the one main thing that came to mind from that day that added Meaning to Life  or that gave a Reason for Living that day. This, as we say. could be something we had rather forgotten, or something that the bikes brought within reach.

Over 90 days of travel, that gave us 90 things to think about. It's hard to get a handle on so many things, so we grouped them, and came up with twelve groups. The twelve groups themselves fell into categories - three of them. So we can begin by reporting that the Meaning of Life has something to do with People, with Pleasures,  and with Personal Development. All of this, we claim, can be found or achieved  through Cycle Touring, which is good news for the creators or readers of CycleBlaze!

People has something to do with thinking about family, about connecting with old friends, and about meeting new people.

Pleasures has something to do with food, music, beauty in nature and in architecture, peace and quiet, and smooth cycle paths.

Personal Development involves solving problems, overcoming physical challenges, and learning about geography and history.

This list, of course, is just us. Somebody else might be more interested, for example, in "dancing", or someone might cycle to where they can do "gambling" or even "drinking". But for those, you would have to read a different blog, and we can't claim to have found or even looked for those joys. We do at least claim that we found everything that Maria (Julie Andrews) listed as a favourite thing in Sound of Music.

Since I am a statistician, I won't leave it at that, but rather offer a view of the relative importance of the twelve things on our current tour. The view is a bit biased, because only one thing was flagged per day. I also notice that although in towns we always looked first to the architecture and notably the church, we seldom flagged that at the end of the day. Anyway, here we are (Shades of blue: People, shades of purple: Pleasure , shades of orange: Personal Development).

Heart 0 Comment 0

From this we see that the one single most important thing in life is Pleasure, which in one way or another garnered 49% of our mentions. Among pleasures, Food was very important, but it seems to have been edged out by finding Beauty and appreciating Nature.  

Also,  Pleasure did not quite win the popular vote, since something about People, together with  Personal Development comes in at 51%. And between People, and Personal Development one is 25% and the other 26%.

What do you think? Does any of this jive with your life or if you are a cyclist, with your life and your touring? Are you living for Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll? Does your family rate more than 9% of your thoughts? All that would be fair enough. Let us know in the comments.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Bill ShaneyfeltNaturally... :-)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltAh yes, seeking beauty and observing nature was the single most mentioned category, edging out food!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamTo me (us) the greatest thing would be being able to do it and that depends on three things. If one breaks down it is not possible The three are
Having someone you love to do it with
Having the health to do it
Having enough money to do it
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamStay tuned for the "having enough money" part, where we'll go through the costs. It does strike me that cycle touring as most people are now doing it requires many more financial resources than in the old days of camping and living on rice or noodles. Also all costs (airfare, accommodation, food) seemed to have jumped a lot.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sue PriceI like your breakdown and I think it works (for me at any rate) both at home or out on a tour. Glad you made it out and back in one piece this time and looking forward to an in person visit soon!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWhen we first started cycletouring I used to keep a detailed account of our expenses Dont do it now as it is too scary! our first trip was London to Rome we were away 68 days and the expenses I recorded covered everything including the cat and dog in kennels, airfares, ferry fares etc The total was $16113 ie 9722 Euros (143 Euros a day) which seem amazing seeing we were coming from the other side of the world. Certainly it is hugely more expensive now but we do do it in more comfort!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ellen LeeHi Dodie & Steve, I love what you did with your meaning of life. Unfortunately I fall into the category of personal development as I am challenged with bike mechanics, flat tires, front rack breaking, no connector for battery, and controller overheating and it’s only day 21 of my tour. You sure need to think outside of the box in these situations. So I am going to say 50%. But I have met some very nice people for a positive note. I enjoyed your trip, your journals are the best. Hope to meet up someday! And yes they are masking in grocery stores in Germany so I had to dig mine out. Hope I can get on my ArrCan app, always changing the goal post!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sue PriceWe came back to the farm in quite a bit of disarray. For example we had to decide whether to windrow or chop the hayfield that our lawn had turned in to! Still, we have enough strength to turn some thoughts to the next trip - need to choose between Mexico and Spain (hate that jamon!) But before that we will run up and down the Gulf Islands a bit (if there are any motel vacancies!) and that could put us close to you. We could also go crazy and actually use a car to get together!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Ellen LeeHi Ellen, I am impressed that you found time to look at our journal when you are still on the road. We seldom look across to Crazyguy, but your description of your challenges right now encouraged me to go find your blog. I am starting from the beginning, and right away am amazed at your current gear configuration, and the ones of the past. It shows a lot of life skills and personal development already. For example, I never would have thought of sourcing a compact 36V 20 A battery and sending it from amazon.de (Actually the added weight, need for a place to put it, and cost on top of the ligos would have also scared me off).

btw I have been following a guy called William Taudien from Sweden as he travels in various countries. He is not a cyclist, but interesting. Something I notice is how calmly he deals with the various problems of travel. But one recent thing has me wondering. In Bankok he had his powerbank confiscated at security, who claimed only up to 8000 maH is allowed. (His was only 4000, but he could not proved it - that's beside the point). If there is an airport that is confiscating 8000 maH, what would they do to a ligo? Have you heard of this? p.s. It's just insane, because what would they have said to an ordinary laptop or tablet?? You can see the episode here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l8KaPoTG24 with the concerning action around minute 5:45.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ellen LeeTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI see Thailand plays by different rules, none! They must make it up as they go. Shame. I think that’s why SE Asia doesn’t appeal to me besides the heat too. If they took my LiGo’s I think I would have a complete meltdown and not look too pretty! I haven’t heard of such a thing yet. Laptops & tablets have been flying for years so why suddenly ban them? Who knows?!
The extra battery has been a necessity & didn’t cost near as much as the LiGos. 6 LiGo’s only get me 35+ miles in windy conditions due to my heavy load. I really need to learn to lighten up. I like to go 40 to 55 miles a day. Then the 200 watt solar panel is a must have item too.
When I return I need to deal with Bike Friday to buy a new front rack for the NWT. Ho hum….
Reply to this comment
1 year ago