Day 89: Markranstadt to Lutzen and back - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2022

Day 89: Markranstadt to Lutzen and back

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our friend Jurgen volunteered to guide us on a bike tour out of Markranstadt today. The original objective was the Kulkwitzer See, a lake named no doubt for the little centre of Kulkwitz, southeast of town. If you zoom out with the map above, you will see a whole flock of lakes, south and east of Leipzig. These came about from this having been a big open pit coal mining area. As the coal played out (I think) the pits were allowed to fill in, creating cold and deep lakes. In the case of the Kulkwitz lake, the end of coal mining provided a super recreation site, with beaches, sailing, scuba diving, and restaurants. Since this is Germany, even GDR, a bikeway went around the lake, mostly paved, and partly rail trail. It just burns me up that wealthy British Columbia where we live has in 20 years not found the will or money to pave the defunct rail line that runs from Victoria to Parksville. But in GDR? No problem, apparently.

Markranstadt is a pleasant town, with little in terms of retail activity, but a good town spirit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Kulkwitzer See
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are a number of cafes by the lake
Heart 3 Comment 0
This ship, that used to sail the Saale, was a Chinese restaurant and had other incarnations, now settling as a special event venue.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This former power station is now a restaurant and events centre. In this area a lot of GDR era buildings are being repurposed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Look at this perfect path!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Markranstat, like Leipzig, is situated in the German state of Sachsen (Saxony), but it is near the border with Anhalt-Sachsen. For locals, this would be like Alberta/BC or Washington/Oregon, but for practical purposes we can see no difference. This is despite a moderately impassioned comparison of the path on either side of the border by Jurgen.

The state border
Heart 1 Comment 0

Having spun around the lake (clockwise) out of Markranstadt, Jurgen sprung a great idea. "Let's nip over to Lutzen, it's part of Sweden, you know". Needless to say we had never heard of Lutzen, much less its link to Sweden, but of course we're up for anything. Never having heard of Lutzen once again proves our immense general ignorance, for there are scads of things that "everybody" knows about (and has for hundreds of years!) that we have lived to our extreme ages never having encountered.

Of course, slowly slowly while being guided around to various spots, the story begins to form in my head, until I vaguely understand what everybody knows. So here is my precis on what the deal is with (the mega famous) Lutzen, which should then help with the photos and captions as we run through the place.

Europe has had an amazing number of complex wars, with various empires and kings, and religions, having at each other over centuries. One of these is the Thirty Years' War, which ran 1618 to 1648. Other wars were running concurrently, because I guess there just wasn't time to properly string wars out one after another! 

There seems to be some debate over what the Thirty Years War was actually about, but let's say it was Protestants from the north vs. Catholics from the south. Among the many taking part in the war, our story focusses on two. One was Gustav Adolph, king of Sweden, and the other Albrecht von Wallenstein, something of a mercenary, fighting for Ferdinand II of Bohemia. Gustav had set out from Sweden two years earlier, and had been swarming around Germany - mainly Bavaria - fighting many battles. Wallenstein had earned a reputation as a great general, and had confiscated a lot of lands, amassing a personal wealth. When the two met up at the Battle of Lutzen, Wallenstein was actually fairly ill - later analysis blamed syphilis. But in this battle, Gustav was killed. (Wallenstein was later assassinated by Ferdinand because of a rumour he planned to switch sides.) 

Well ok, one might write that off as a single event in an eventful war, and century of war. But no. First off, about 10,000 were killed, and ended up in mass graves near the battle field. Second, having a Swedish king killed down here was a big deal for the Swedes and for Protestants in general. The body was brought back to Stockholm, but a memorial rock remained at the site. The rock was later replaced by a memorial iron structure, which was maintained by a Swedish soldier stationed for the purpose. From there the story gets more and more convoluted. A restaurant was built beside he iron memorial, to accomodate the many Swedish/Protestant visitors. A Swedish wood cottage was built to act as a museum, by Swedish carpenters. This was later twinned. Then in the early 1900's concern that the iron memorial was taking a lot of maintenance, led a private philanthropist to have a church built in memory of Gustav, on the site. Later, the restaurant (which of course included a beer garden) was deemed to crass to be nearby, and it was moved 1/2 block away. Archeologists and museum artists got in on the act, and artifacts of the battle were unearthed and displayed. Dignitaries from Sweden and elsewhere attended opening ceremonies for things like the church on the site. A Society was formed, that even today has secured funding and is 1/2 way through building yet another museum building. Meanwhile 2 km away in Lutzen proper, the town castle is devoted to even more museum craft about the whole thing. 

Trying to put all the Gustav interest into my own terms, I thought of it as if George Washington had happened to die in, say, Sarnia, Ontario instead of Mount Vernon, Virginia, in 1799. Well maybe the Americans would be doing pilgrimages to Sarnia, and erecting George Washington churches there, and the like.

But it is not just Gustav that is a focus here. Wallenstein also comes in for a lot of memorialising, and there is even a rock band that has adopted his name. And oh, while we are at it, Napoleon rampaged through here in 1807, enjoying a no doubt 10 jammer breakfast at our own Rosencranz guest house!

So with all this in the background, 390 years later, the Grampies and their friend Jurgen rolled into Lutzen. Here is what we saw:

This shot has a lot: the memorial rock, the iron memorial, and the church
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mounted Gustav, on the church. The date below is 1907, when the church was built.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can book a battlefield tour
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rock, saying 1632
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the books on offer. Pappenheim was a general for Wallenstein, got his own book!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the great 30 Years War towns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church was built with the Swedish themed roof
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gustav and Luther grace the altar, not much Jesus in sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Giant graphic for the famous rock
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Battlefield model, there is a bigger better one in town!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Additional museum building under construction today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The moved restaurant
Heart 1 Comment 0
Part of the cycling team!
Heart 1 Comment 0
In central Lutzen, the geography of Gustav's campaigns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He even has a local high school named after him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Model of the Lutzen castle, showing the tower you can climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The attic of the castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stairs lead far up
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh, oh, the last tourist that tried this!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view from the top
Heart 2 Comment 0
Could be a nice rental property, top of the tower has an upper and lower room.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike AylingA bit of a challenge to get your bike up there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
This castle is from 1252!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of books abut this
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rock band
Heart 1 Comment 0
Battlefield moel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Painting idealizes the stone and the iron memorial
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived back in Markranstadt in time for the Childrens' Festival parade. We went with Jurgen's 91 year old Mom, and Birgit's mom Kate as well. The two great grandma's are shown greeting each other below.

It's a bit of a tough walk to the parade for Jurgen's Mom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oma may be tired, but Steve seems to have collapsed!
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the move again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oma Kate and Jurgen's Mom.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here comes the parade!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

As in each of the parades or festivals we have encountered on this tour, the events provide an opportunity for the townsfolk to come out of their houses and cars and rekindle their sense of community.

It was a bit much for this old car.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our last thing for the day was to assemble at Birgit's family compound for coffee time. Birgit's family is an admirable conglomerate of four family generations, all living on a walled property in the centre of town. They have various buildings, centred around the original family bakery business, and have created a mini paradise of gardens, farm animals, pools, and outdoor shelters.  This family of bakers always comes up with a variety of creations at these times. Here is what we saw of that today:

It's a chocolate torte with a really good ganache filling.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Green qwark cake and Johannesbeeren torte.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the family
Heart 1 Comment 0
More of the family - they all live here (ok, Jurgen lives down the street).
Heart 2 Comment 0

This family greets us warmly every time we show up to eat their tortes. Like Jurgen and Birgit, they are a kind hearted treasure that we have somehow come to know.

What gave Meaning to Life today? Oma Kate and her baking clan.

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 4,857 km (3,016 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0