Day 71: Munich to Seysdorf - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2022

Day 71: Munich to Seysdorf

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first chore for the day was to navigate through about 8 km of city bikeways, filled with the city's cyclists. Here they are in the photo. They really do not look like a happy bunch!

Being stuck behind the Grampies is not always a cause for joy!
Heart 3 Comment 2

We were intent on leaving the city this morning, rather than sightseeing, but I had noticed this window before and wanted to show how designers were trying to adapt traditional styles for a more modern look. If you look through the window glare on the left hand side, you can also make out the man' s design.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Joni's friend Cam lived in Germany some years ago. At that time it was a family joke that once all the construction would be done, Germany could be a nice place. Cam never saw that happen, and sorry to say we are documenting continued construction today. Oh well, Happy Birthday, Cam.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching the English Garden we had to brake for an immense number of kids on their way in. I asked one of the teachers and learned they had come for a sports day.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We finally got sorted out, with the Isar riverside path before us. It turned out that this exact scene represents what (all) we saw for the next 40 km.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Dodie is playing it safe - walking down this humble 16% grade.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We put in about 19 km before we reached the kind of car traffic that can seriously impede progress by bicycle. We got thrown into the scene here and below, of course, by a detour that did not guide us back onto the radweg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonThe artwork (?) there is titled May West.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We did eventually find our way back, to this. As we said, for many many km.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking cross the Isar we noted a lot of white - something. It looked like grasses from the distance. This photo show it to be ?? There was a lot of it, over kms.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonIt's called crowfoot. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranunculus_fluitans
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Beyond Freising the radweg leaves the river side, taking us with it, of course. From around that point the ride became one we rather like better - through small villages and crop lands. We pushed this idea of being departed from the river even further, by departing from the radweg and taking off in search of our reserved hotel room.

Through crop lands now, on no shoulder roads.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonMuch more interesting!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Through the day the rain had come on and off, and consequently our rain gear came on and off. But by afternoon the rain settled in to be generally drenching. At that point I did not have on rain pants, so my shorts got drenched. It was ok, because the air was still warm and there was no chance of chill. On the shoulderless roads, though, the rain makes the cars whipping by somewhat more threatening.

It turned out towards the end that we were on the "hops" route. We already had noticed the extensive hops plantings, which figure for a beer loving country.

Hops
Heart 4 Comment 0

The place that Dodie found to book was a little out of our way, but a good deal at 80 euros, with a kitchenette and breakfast available from 6:30. Today was a little long at 80 km. Tomorrow has the complication of the ferry through the Donau gorge to Kelheim. So an early start will be a good idea. 

What gave Meaning to Life today? Finding our way with the GPS mostly knocked out by raindrops.

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 3,957 km (2,457 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonThe ferry ride to Kelheim is really nice.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonThe ferry is lovely, but we have heard that going by road takes one up and over a nasty gravel surfaced hill. We need to avoid that, so it will be an early start for us,
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamWhen we came to it in 2018. The river was too low for the ferry torun and we had to ride over the gravel hill ☹️ Tomorrow you will ride through hops all day
Reply to this comment
1 year ago