Day 4: Markranstadt - a Family Easter - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2022

Day 4: Markranstadt - a Family Easter

The day started as in my dreams most days should start - with a run to the bakery. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Fresh bread was a good idea for breakfast, but not knowing what the rest of the day held in store, I also tried to stock up on some goodies, and for the ride tomorrow.  The first move was really an error, as we shall see.  I got a mixed berry schnitte, something that would come as a flood in just  a short while. Also on my hit list was a small pile of Lerchen (the almond tarts) that seemed like great anti-bonck to have on the trip.

Lerchen!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just as we arrived back home, Brigit and Anja set out to manufacture their own strawberry torte version. They quickly baked  a base, for which I begged the recipe,  cooked custard, and the gelatin topping, while arranging strawberries. 

I need a pan like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Th strawberries are resting in custard.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonI was thinking, looks very professional. Then I read on! They are professional!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The glaze goes on.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The "competitive" , mixed berry, piece from the bakery looked like this:

Heart 0 Comment 0

All this "research" and these preparations were pretty much immediately overwhelmed as we headed over to Birgit's family compound for Easter celebrations.  Birgit's family is a very special organism. It is headed by Grandma Kate, and comprises further generations, of what to Kate would be children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. The family core is about 12 people all living side by side. Their homes are in a walled-fenced compound surrounding what was an original bakery operated by Kate's family. They in turn were three generations of family bakers, and Kate was born in the building. 

One key word here is "bakers", and baking has remained in the family DNA. Give them an excuse like Easter, then, and stand back!  We arrived at Kate's bearing our humble strawberry cake, and ok, one other chocolate cake also whipped up by Birgit and Anja. We found the family had not necessarily fielded its superstars, like Birgit's accomplished baker brother Stephan. In fact, the "second string"  inlaws took the field today. No matter, they flooded the tables with about ten scrumptious cakes. OK, Stephan did deign to create a pile of windbeutle!

So, Easter with a family of bakers:

"Our" cake did get one customer, here
Heart 0 Comment 0
But bigger, squarer competition loomed
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ben ParkeYou have lived my dream Easter. I didn’t even have any pathetic cookies on hand for Easter
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Forget the strawberries if you can get three inches of quark cream!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jenny and Sandra (right) were two main producers of today's tortes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don't know who made this one
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cream puffs from Stephan had jam fillings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oma Kate looks on - she chose an Egg Liqueur torte by Pia (Stephan's wife)..
Heart 0 Comment 0

The family welcomed us to their table(s) with completely open arms. But they also went one step further. They have a tradition of exchanging small gifts at Easter, not just for the children, but all left about by the Easter bunny.

Interlopers or not, the Bunny had not forgotten us, and even the children participated in having gifts for us:

From such generous and kind people! These were our gifts.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Although I have characterized this as a family of bakers, they showed depth of field by taking one quick breath and producing an unending supply of BBQ steaks and bratwurst, with kilos of freshly made potato and macaroni salad.

A few of the stockpiled supplies by the BBQ
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the results
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsMaking my mouth water...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Before we left, my brother asked for a shot of me with a bratwurst. Here you go, Harold. (I admit to gobbling wurst at the zoo, actually, but that was "bockwurst" so we had to wait for today's "bratwurst".
Heart 0 Comment 1
Harold MillerHey Steve,
I am so touched that you took the trouble to remember my words and act on them. This may be very personal, but I want all your readers to know about it.
On a lighter side, all those photos of tortes have got me drooling.
Love, Harold
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Most then repaired to a large campfire in the centre of the compound. This was good, because the temperature had dropped a lot, making us glad of having brought warmish clothes for this cycle trip.

It took a little while to hug everyone goodbye, and receive their best send off wishes. Oma Kate was so sweet in her words, which we could tell and understand despite the language barrier.  What a great day, and an easy choice for a favourite thing - Easter, or any day, with this family.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonWhat a family! And you seem to have become part of it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonWe really do feel like we are part of this family, and try to include a short visit as often as we can.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsFood porn galore! I gained ten pounds looking at the pictures.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago