Day 11: Domitz to Lauenberg - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2022

Day 11: Domitz to Lauenberg

Baa!

Both we and the Elbe are getting ready for the final rush into Hamburg. We will be there tomorrow, and maybe the look and feel of our ride will change at that point, as we will at least be entering and noodling through a big city, looking for ferries, and such. But for today, it's still all pastoral beauty.

We began in a little managed pine forest, and having left quite early, we had some nice lighting for looking at it.

Heart 3 Comment 0

It was then back on our dike path, with again the open and colourful vista and smooth bike path.

The path
Heart 0 Comment 0
The colours
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Canada when cycling you have a general feeling that animals are around you, and depending where you are you hope you do not actually meet them - like they could be bear in Manning Park, or suchlike. In Europe we often feel that there is nothing around, but here on the Elbe it's a pleasant compromise, with lots of wild birds, deer, hase (hares), and farm animals.

I thought I could take advantage of this by nailing down some wild geese with the moon on their wing, and I was willing to dispense with the moon part. So I located some wild geese and asked Dodie to shout at them, so they could be on the wing. But Dodie does not support harassing animals, so here are my wild geese, no moon, no wing!

Good enough for Julie Andrews?
Heart 3 Comment 0

Moving on from the geese, I went over to harrass a herd of cows. Since we are nearing Schleswig-Holstein, which is directly north of Hamburg, I figured these Holsteins were fair tourism game. I asked them my dumb tourist question "Say, are you guys really Holsteins?", but they gave me the silent treatment my question deserved.

We are nearing Holstein!
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rich FrasierTough audience...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Just as on the dikes of Netherlands, sheep graze and help control the grass. The government helpfully advises to not step in the resulting fertiliser. We spotted one flock that had two large white dogs to guard it, and we watched these chase away two crows, and also us. Good work! We also watched a black dog and shepherd controlling a huge flock that looked like a moving cloud. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
What type of dog is he?
Heart 4 Comment 8
Scott AndersonAnother trick question? Clues abound.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownLooks like a Great Pyrenees.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonThe main clue is the sheep, but "sheep dog" would only gain part marks.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownYes, that's what Dodie thought too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh, OK then. BIG sheep dog.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodMaremma - originating in Italy (Lazio). We had a 'too-close' encounter with one of these on our way to Candela, Puglia in Nov 2019. No fence involved!!! They look nice and cuddly - from a distance. Don't fall for that trap.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingTo Lyle McLeodLyle you beat me to the correct answer!
They were bred to protect livestock rather than herding.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Steve Miller/GrampiesShaggy dog?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
This one dog herded all those sheep
Heart 2 Comment 0

But best of all were the new lambs, like this one:

A lamb in Spring - easily one of our Favourite Things
Heart 5 Comment 0



Another theme that recurred today was the thatched houses. They look so medieval!

Heart 4 Comment 0

Look at his great thatch haircut:

Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith KleinHi,
Mules?

Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

There is also the question of the crossed knights at the crests of the roofs. A closer look seemed to reveal these to maybe actually be dragons. But maybe they are donkeys? Have a look and see what you think.

In Netherlands swans on roofs are common, but what do we have here?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauWhat you have there is obviously a couple of green horses who are angry because cute, white spring lambs are nestling up underneath their chins. All will be well with the world when they separate and start grazing on the roof. This picture is one of MY favorite things.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesOh, I see the lambs part now. Took me three months!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We ran into our first hills around Boizenberg, and actually had to push up some very steep slopes when finally we entered Lauenberg, our destination for the day. Lauenberg old town has very narrow streets and sidewalks, and (for a cyclist) annoying cobbled pavement. It is not terribly large, but it is picturesque. It was not as if there were cafes or walking areas to keep us, so we pushed on to our hotel, the Bellevue. 

Lauernberg Altstadt
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

I should have said we pushed up to the Bellevue, which is clearly so named because it has a viewpoint over the Elbe. 

Hotel Bellvue
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from the Bellevue
Heart 2 Comment 0

The hotel is very cute overall, though our room is quite tiny. It's not quite like some in France, where you have to make an appointment with your partner for a chance to pass between the end of the bed and the adjacent wall, but it's small.  Even so, there is a little desk that is helping a lot as I type  this, while Dodie is on her favourite tablet, finding a place for us tomorrow in Hamburg. True to form, we are planning to basically blow though Hamburg. If it has anything interesting to show us, it will have to put it on our track!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Preview Flash: Dodie  seems to have booked a hooker hotel off the Reeper Bahn. Stay tuned!

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 505 km (314 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0