Day 0: From Home to Frankfurt - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2022

Day 0: From Home to Frankfurt

Joni chips in this cartoon as we (hopefully both) jump on the conveyance that will take us to this new adventure:

Heart 6 Comment 3
Tricia GrahamThank you Joni what a wonderful cartoon I love it and if we do go on our next adventure this is how it will be
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamWonderful. Good thing we don’t ride a tandem though.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonGreat cartoon!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

If we had been leaving for a warm destination, then today's conditions on Vancouver Island  could have been a source of some satisfaction. But as it was, the sleety rain and the snow at slight altitude was just a bug. We got quite soaked just on the walk from the car to the ferry building. It could easily be just the same right now in Northern Germany, but at least in going there we are getting another roll of the dice.

Take me to Mexico?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Sue PriceIndeed - take us back!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sue PriceBut you know, not long after entering the jungly biosphere at the zoo, I was ready to say "let's go back to the hotel and turn on the AC". Our bracing northern weather does have some (few) advantages!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Just about every time we take a ferry off our island, we look at the land and the water and wonder, very briefly!, why we would ever want to leave. But yes, here we are going again! At least here in B.C. and on a weekday,  the ferry trip for old timers like us is free.

Goodbye Vancouver Island
Heart 2 Comment 0




The ferry turned out to be a bit of a shock. After two years of fleeing from anyone that strayed inside our 6 foot government decreed exclusion zone, we found that BC Ferries had imprudently, pre-covidly, built their boats with seating rows just about three feet apart. So looking at the nice ladies just ahead made me want to shrink backwards. But in the seats behind were two more, no doubt nice, ladies! If we're gonna be on this trip, I will have to overcome this conditioning real quick!

Where are my 6 feet - waahh!
Heart 2 Comment 0

The bus from the ferry terminal to the airport can be a little tricky to find. But we are pros now, and this time we did not have to hold everyone up as would be if we were having to fit our bikes to the rack in front. The bus windows were fogged with the cold and rain, and the driver - seemingly behind his time - was really careening along. Our fellow riders, though, were in a good mood, with some pointing out landmarks that could somewhat be seen from the windows.

We are not quite sure if we paid for this bus ride, or for the next leg, on the "Skytrain". Some kind of new scanner looked at our Visa card, but did not report on how much money it took, or if that was for one or two of us. We do know that we forced one gate open to get onto the train, and that a Transit worker had to use her magic card to get us out at the other end, a service she did to have us quit yelling at her!

Another photo we customarily take is of one of the indigenous sculpture pieces that adorn the concourses. These pieces are certainly spectacular, and no doubt for the visitor they epitomize the West Coast culture here. But we feel funny about them, for a couple of reasons. First off, the native people make up probably 5% of the population. So why does the other 95% have to rely on them to represent the area to the visitor. Surely the Europeans or maybe even the quite plentiful Chinese or Punjabis could dream up some decorations as well?

Reason two, and here it gets a bit controversial, is that although they have some truly great artists, the native people show few if any signs of actually being the guardians of the environment and proponents of traditional ways and values that the tourists might wish. The hard truth is that most are not the best ambassadors for this region. Oh well, we still love and photograph the sculptures.

This massive Bill Reid sculpture is bronze with a jade finish.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is highly dramatic!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of West Coast Indigenous stuff is on offer at the airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reason for living today: No COVID!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Kathleen ClassenWasn’t the snow a shock this morning? In Victoria? In April? The afternoon was gorgeous, so the weather is just weird. Bon Voyage and have a wonderful, safe journey.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI first saw electronic transit passes in Bilbao in 2016 and couldn’t wait for Metro Vancouver to get a similar system. You might want to consider getting a Compass Card when you return to Vancouver. You load the card and your fare is deducted from the balance. The best part is that fares paid with a Compass Card are lower than if you pay with cash or credit card. Not to mention not having to dig for exact change. (In Bilbao, drivers made change.)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonHow exciting, your on your way!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Joel MachtMy sister eagerly awaits your arrival in the northernmost city of Italy. She's a fantastic cook and I commit her here and now to preparing you both a wonderful meal. Her food is definitely a reason for living! I hope you get to connect. Safe travels!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesJoel, what city is she in??
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Joel MachtTo Steve Miller/GrampiesMunich. Right in the heart of it! Schwabing neighbourhood on Hohenstaufenstrasse just west of several other great reasons for living: the English Garten and the world's best bier und haxen.

Sorry for the late reply - hope it's not too late!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Joel MachtJoel, can you email us her phone number and email address? We are actually at Bad Tolz right now, but first we have to go to Salzburg and swing down into the Alps and back. It'll be three week until we appear at Munich. We are not sure how our time and plans will look, but it's a maybe!

p.s. Did you quit on your blog?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago