Newtonmore - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2019

Newtonmore

We didn't have the best of sleeps last night.  The campsite was full and an outdoor music concert down in the village boomed on until late into the night.  The folks in the tent two down from us came home even later and were loudly sick after their long night out.

Today's ride was thirty kilometers up followed by thirty kilometers down.  It took us to the highest point in Scotland on a National Cycle Route and will probably be the highest we will climb on this trip.  Even so, 462m is not particularly high so the term Highlands, where we are now officially in, must be read in context.

The sign at the bottom of the climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are officially in the highlands now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leigh approaches the top of the climb.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sign at the top of the climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just outside Dalwhinnie we were pleasantly surprised to bump into Elizabeth and Paul (who we met in the Lake District) who were traveling southwards to Blair Athol.  We had a long natter on the side of the road after which, on Paul's advice, we headed for the Dalwhinnie Village Hall to buy a bacon and egg roll for second lunch (we had eaten jam buns a bit earlier).  Then we stuck our heads into the Dalwhinnie Distillery where we had hoped to do a tour and tasting.  The next tour was in almost an hour's time so we carried on to Newtonmore where we are camping for the night (for only five pounds!) .

Dalwhinnie Distillery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 2,139 km (1,328 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0