Lerwick (ferry to Aberdeen) - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2019

Lerwick (ferry to Aberdeen)

We have enjoyed a great break at Levenwick.  There has been constant turnover of campers but also a few who have been here even longer than us. 

Tony has been there for almost two months now, taking a break after five years of travelling.  Roy and his wife Judith have been camping at Levenwick for many years.  His grandson James, just about to start six form, was there for much of our stay along with his girlfriend Charlotte. 

Other than that we enjoyed the company of, amongst others, a group of young Italian students, a great Swiss couple, and Natalie, a Polish electronics engineer trying her hand at a new life in traveling and photography.  I've left a few out but these are the ones that come to mind as I type this up.

Apart from lots of work we did little else, certainly very little that was physically strenuous.  A few walks to photographs birds.  Bus rides to Lerwick to buy groceries.  A visit to the Clickimin Broch .  A lazy stroll around Sumburgh Head.  Quite a few meals in enjoyable company with a glass of wine or two.

Clickimin Broch
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clickimin Broch
Heart 1 Comment 0

Of course it had to end and I was itching to go by the time we climbed on our bikes at around midday to ride the twenty eight kilometers of roller coaster hills northwards to Lerwick.

Once in Lerwick we had a shower at the public toilets near the harbour (thank you to the kind warden who opened them up to us in the afternoon even thought they were only supposed to open at six thirty).  A mid-afternoon meal at a Thai restaurant (pad thai goong for me and drunk noodles for Leigh -  a nice change).  Then it was onto the ferry (thankfully not too full) where we found a nice spot where we can sleep on the floor.

Bye bye Shetlands. We enjoyed our stay.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,778 km (1,725 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0